1 Replies - 3234 Views - Last Post: 06 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Mobile development, transforming web-site questions

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

I am launching a new holiday discussion website. Mobile usage is going to be very important part of the site but I am in a bit of a dilemma. I have 15 years experience with web design, but nothing with mobile.

It would be much appreciated if someone knowledgable on this area could spare 10 minutes of their time to help me with somethings. For me it's about catering for as much of the market as I can whilst still at a budget. I believe that to cater for 99% of the market I would need to create several apps, mobile version etc which just isn't practical.

What is more important;

- Have an iPhone app
- Having a good mobile version of the site which is compatible for all mobiles?
- Are there any other popular handsets I should consider an APP for.

1) Should I just scrap an iPhone APP and go for a mobile version of the site?

2) What are the fundamental advantages of going for an iPhone APP? Apple has massive market share in terms of mobile market but should I consider making APPS for any other handsets?

3) Are there are shortcuts I can take to say developing a mobile version and then easily turning this into an APP? Is there one standard layout I could develop for mobile which would then work on most phones?

4) Do all iPhone apps get approved? Could I develop an APP and then it not get approved?

5 From reading forums I would need to design the app in different layout sizes for different iPhones? Again is there a size I should use which would work on all or a size you would recommend?

Thanks for your time.

Adam

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Mobile development, transforming web-site questions

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Mobile development, transforming web-site questions

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

1) Should I just scrap an iPhone APP and go for a mobile version of the site?

I think you should settle for a happy medium. There are a lot of easily accessible resources at your fingertips.

3) Are there are shortcuts I can take to say developing a mobile version and then easily turning this into an APP? Is there one standard layout I could develop for mobile which would then work on most phones?

You could use the Cordova platform to quickly create multi-mobile-platform apps based on your website. That way you'd be creating a 'mobile' version of your website, as well as an 'iPhone' app (don't forget Android). As for the layout, you'll want to adjust your layout based on the device's resolution. I'm sure Cordova makes this easy as well.

2) What are the fundamental advantages of going for an iPhone APP? Apple has massive market share in terms of mobile market but should I consider making APPS for any other handsets?

According to Wikipedia, the majority of worldwide smartphone sales are android-based. With tools like Cordova, creating your app for multiple platforms will be a piece of cake. The only reason I would ever do a single-platform application would be because a customer requested it.

4) Do all iPhone apps get approved? Could I develop an APP and then it not get approved?

No. From what I've heard, Apple has a lengthy approval process. You can be denied for many reasons like breaking the terms of service, malicious code, etc.

5) From reading forums I would need to design the app in different layout sizes for different iPhones? Again is there a size I should use which would work on all or a size you would recommend?

See the answer to question 3.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1