10 Replies - 817 Views - Last Post: 07 February 2013 - 07:27 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Software reports...

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

Hi!

Which kind of software reports can I use to print out my data with C#.Net. Anyone can show me a link for a tutorial step by step software reports.

thanks,
Leader2000
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Software reports...

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Software reports...

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

I am a big fan of MS Reporting Services..

http://msdn.microsof...y/ms159106.aspx

Moving this to C#.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:07 AM

thanks.
But I have a sub question about reports.
Can you clarify me the diference between Crystl report and MS Reporting Services.
Did you think that Crystal report can't be used for reports in C#.Net? It's just a question. Because I want to learn and to be sure on what I'll be concentrated.

Thank you,
Leader2000
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

Unless I'm reading the documentation incorrectly, MS Reporting Services requires that you have MS SQL Server. I'm not even sure if it's available in the Express or Compact editions of SQL Server. Crystal Reports on the other hand is agnostic about its source of data.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

Correct.. typically full blown reporting services comes with MSSQL. Between shelling out the money for Crystal or MSSQL it is sort of a wash. Though you can typically do a 'add new item' to your project and jack around with the neutered versions of both in VS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Just doing a quick Google scan, CrystalReports seems to be in the $500-600 range, but MSSQL server is in the $2500-$3500K range. What am I missing? For SQL Server, you also need to dedicate hardware which increases the cost more if you can't easily spin up a VM for it. Additionally, if you need to access the data on the SQL Server, you'll probably have to buy into getting an Active Directory infrastructure unless you go with the weaker Mixed Mode authentication. For a typical AD infrastructure it is recommended that you have a primary AD and a backup AD machine, so now you are buying 3 machines or spinning up 3 VMs, and multiple licences for Windows Server.

<rant>This is why I hate SharePoint with a passion. To buy into SharePoint and do it right, you'll need to get at least multiple machines or VM, and all of them running MS software.</rant>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

I recall previously installing an MS Reporting Services add-in for SQL Server and (optimistically) Visual Studio Express. However, I think it was very limited and, although I hardly touched it, I don't even think it could preview reports(?).

Perhaps the only other option in the Express versions is to design reports in Access and use Automation/Interop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

As with most things is a matter of preference. The first being, for me, is I loathe SAP. Such a bloated piece of junk. Second, keeping up with each generation is crystal gets expensive.. especially when the $600 is per user. Third - the previous companies I worked for all ran MSSQL so the 'free' reporting services addon was a solid alternative to paying the crystal reports piper every year.

As for the AD issues - meh.. not my area of concern. That was all handled by the sys admins.. my only concern was getting MSSQL on a blade and off I went.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Ah, I didn't realize that Crystal Reports is per user. Like you, also loath SAP about as much as I loath SharePoint. :) I didn't realize that SAP now owns Crystal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

I learned reading all diferente opinions from yours.
thanks guys.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

SQL reporting services is great if you have it available. I actually like it much better than Crystal Reports. If you don't have it you can always create .RDLC reports right out of visual studio. I have worked for a company that used Reporting services and am now working for one that just uses .RDLC and it does everything I need to do there. The advantage to using reporting services is the advantages in ways to distribute the reports. As far as what you can do on a report I haven't found any drawbacks to just using .RDLC.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1