What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

• (30 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

439 Replies - 21259 Views - Last Post: 14 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Re: What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:01 AM

Worldwar series by Harry Turtledove.

Worldwar deals with a military invasion which begins on or around May 30, 1942, by a force of aliens who call themselves the Race, a reptilian species. They had reached Earth orbit in December 1941, but delayed their attack for various reasons.

Although the Race has the advantage of superior technology, their information on humanity had been collected by robotic probe during the 12th century AD. The invaders are surprised to find that humanity has progressed far more rapidly than any other species with which they had previously studied and conquered. Contrary to their expectations, at the time of invasion, the Race's technology is only marginally more advanced than the contemporaneous 20th century Earth technology. Their commander hesitates, and considers turning back without revealing their presence to the humans, but finally decides that course of action would be too much of a disgrace.

The narrative follows the intersecting fortunes of a large number of human and alien characters. Notably, the series depicts how the Axis and Allied powers must cooperate to fight the alien menace.

Interestingly it portrays all sides with their angels and demons, meaning this isn't a case of Germany being wiped out and replaced with aliens.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

Hm, I have actually been thinking about studying some cyber security, and tripped over these 2 books on Amazon that look interesting:
http://www.amazon.co...=cyber+security
http://www.amazon.co...=cyber+security

Has anyone read either of them? If so, what did you think?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

I haven't read either but a quick look through them the former is better at the hands on and the later, as described by itself is "is focused more on the natioanl level and waht the dod has done and is doing".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Yeah, I have actually read the "sample" of the first one, and it looks pretty approachable (though, regrettably, it didn't actually have any exercises in it, that would have been nice to see how the author approached them before purchasing -- I guess there is always the ye-olde bookstore for that...). And given that it is a more basic introduction I may wind up going that way just to have the foundation, but some of the reviews make it sound like he assumes you know nothing about computers/ linux, which I don't believe applies in my case :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

Yeah it's always a bit rough on those sorts of books. I ended up rolling a week long CEH training class which was a great, but tiring, run through on the CEH coverage areas and prep. Then I snagged a gold hardback book to help with specific memorization and required app usage to demonstrate knowledge.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (30 Pages)
  • +
  • « First