What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

• (37 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

547 Replies - 27690 Views - Last Post: 16 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

#541 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

@bort - I would disagree. For the most part the movie kept inline with the book, but had to hit specific scenes because.. well.. it's a movie with finite amount of time. Though I haven't seen it since I saw it in the theaters and probably should pick up the dvd.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

The main points were there. The fight with the kid at the start, the battle room, Dragon army, Bonzo, the test, and the ending. Everything needed to tell Ender's story, but some of the details were very different. I totally agree that this was very likely due to time constraints, but they did change a lot to make it fit.

Spoiler

Just a few changes, some of which were necessary to keep the movie going, some of which took something away from the background to the book/movie.

Don't get me wrong though, it won't reduce my enjoyment of the movie at all. Despite all the changes made, it is still a really good movie.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#543 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

Card also called them the Formics. Not as much in Ender's Game, but more so in the next books.

As to the movie...I feel like they did the best they could cramming and compressing it down to fit time limits. It does take away from the story, but at least the movie was interesting and followed the main plot very well. It felt like it was paced a bit too fast, since everything just keeps happening one after another, but that's a pacing sacrifice necessary for the big screen.

Where I felt like it fell apart was some of the subtleties. Bonzo is supposed to be years older and significantly bigger/taller than Ender. His threats and intimidation lose a lot of punch when the kid playing him is like four inches shorter than Ender. They were supposed to be in Battle School for many years; he started when he was six, I believe. The movie...they're either teenagers, or almost teens. Stuff like that. Sacrifices that have to be made for the big screen.

I thought Graff was a bit off as a character too, but otherwise it was an enjoyable movie.

The books are spectacular up to a point. I lost interest during the Ender's Shadow series, but the classic Ender's Game + the Speaker for the Dead trilogy is a great read.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

Bort - Not surprised by the first omission you mention, but it seems to me that would essentially dismantle the story that Card told - stripping out the most interesting dramatic tension of the book, and also much of the point.
That sort of thing is, in a nutshell, the problem with making a movie with the same name as a book and pretending they're related.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

haha so according to the movie, we just went out and performed a massive Xenocide for no reason?

I'll be over here
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#546 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

According to the movie, the Formics attacked Earth directly, initially. The wars referred to in the book were basically a single massive encounter on Earth in the movie. And we went out and committed xenocide for pretty much the same reason as in the book, just with less conflict in between.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

ah ok so they did at least cover the back story where the Formics came down and were like "oh hello" and we were like "omg they're in our base killing our d00ds"

just not the second formic war, and it was all condensed into one big kersploosh. Well, at least it's a vengeful xenocide.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#548 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

Pretty much. The point of the xenocide in the books and movies were...

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (37 Pages)
  • +
  • « First