What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

• (40 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

589 Replies - 30283 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

The Cold Equations is excellent. I forget when I even read that, but the title was enough for me to recall it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#587 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

Yeah it sounds like something I was recommended here..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

So I was in the library today and I walked past the "Friends of the Library" shelf - donated books and stuff that they sell for a buck or two to maybe in about fifty years raise enough money to fix one of the leaks. And on the shelf, I saw an old copy of Asimov's Science Fiction with a familiar cover - I'd read this one before. The cover shows a man in a sort of Edwardian jumpsuit with a ruffled collar of some sort and a cape, running from a pink spaceship or tower of some sort, on a cratered landscape under a pink moon.
This issue was dated September 1980, but I must have read it in the mid '90s - I remembered that this cover actually illustrated maybe five stories in this issue, all of them built in some way on this image. So of course I picked it up, and brought it home.

Lucky me. I'd forgotten completely that this issue also has a story called "A Spaceship Built Of Stone", by Lisa Tuttle, which is an excellent example of a solid SF short story from that period, expounding the hypothesis of the story in a few brushstrokes and cutting right to its effects, which are neatly developed in a few pages and laid bare with an excellent reveal in the final paragraph. Real craftsmanship here - what Tuttle does in 15 pages would occupy a novel in the hands of a lesser writer. More stunning than that, this issue also has a review of "the new generation of rôle playing games" - Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and Runequest! (not to spoil it for anyone, but AD&D comes off rather poorly in the review)

So I'm pleased as punch, and full up on mid-school science fiction by mostly-forgotten writers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#589 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

I didn't know Lisa Turtle put out sci-fi books! Oh wow.. no wonder she was Skreech's main squeeze.

Posted Image

Solid finds all around!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#590 depricated  Icon User is online

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

That's an awesome find Jon
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (40 Pages)
  • +
  • « First