What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

• (43 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

638 Replies - 32149 Views - Last Post: Yesterday, 10:23 AM

#631 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

Posted Yesterday, 08:08 AM

The second one reveals Harry and Hermione's naked embrace, making gingerbro jealous.

(also, it's philosophers stone)

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: Yesterday, 08:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#632 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted Yesterday, 08:19 AM

View PostLemur, on 29 September 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

The entire Wheel of Time series. A month in and I'm a good ways through Lord of Chaos.

Awesome. So...the real slog is about to start. I've read that series more times than I care to count, since I started it when there were only six books out, and for some reason I was compelled to re-read the series every time a new book came out, at least until Sanderson took over (still read them, just had read the first ones enough times to not bother any more). And I have to say, books 8-10 are the slowest and least enjoyable to read. But it's worth pushing through, because Jordan's last book was amazing, and all of Sanderson's are great as well.

Wheel of Time is by far my favorite complete fantasy series. I have a feeling that The Stormlight Archives will take that place once it's done, but we probably have a decade before that's done, even at the pace Sanderson writes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted Yesterday, 08:47 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 30 September 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

View PostLemur, on 29 September 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

The entire Wheel of Time series. A month in and I'm a good ways through Lord of Chaos.

Awesome. So...the real slog is about to start. I've read that series more times than I care to count, since I started it when there were only six books out, and for some reason I was compelled to re-read the series every time a new book came out, at least until Sanderson took over (still read them, just had read the first ones enough times to not bother any more). And I have to say, books 8-10 are the slowest and least enjoyable to read. But it's worth pushing through, because Jordan's last book was amazing, and all of Sanderson's are great as well.

Wheel of Time is by far my favorite complete fantasy series. I have a feeling that The Stormlight Archives will take that place once it's done, but we probably have a decade before that's done, even at the pace Sanderson writes.

Agreed with all of this, and I'm another who looks at the Wheel of Time as possibly one of the best fantasy series' I've read. It slows down, but even books 8-10 have some decent parts, and it is definitely worth pushing through to get to the finale. Books 11-13 are tremendous.

And, sad though it is to think this, if it wasn't for Roberty Jordan dying, I'd possibly have never even heard of Brandon Sanderson, and his Stormlight Archive books are among the best I've ever read.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted Yesterday, 09:00 AM

Spoiler tagged for those who would prefer to wait, but Brandon Sanderson's newsletter just arrived in my inbox, complete with a sample chapter from Stormlight Archives book 3.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#635 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted Yesterday, 09:01 AM

Thanks Bort - for some reason that 'stormlight archive' made me think of the 'Star of the Guardian' series by Weis which lead me to an undiscovered series of her's "Mag Force 7". Space opera is back on!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#636 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted Yesterday, 09:02 AM

Same. I'm sure I would have eventually read his work, but when I heard he was writing the rest of WOT, I picked up Mistborn to see how he wrote. Glad I did.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#637 depricated  Icon User is online

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Posted Yesterday, 09:21 AM

Sanderson is easily my favorite author. Just see other comments by me in this thread haha...

Also, everyone labels 8-10 as slogs. My opinion is the least popular, but I think they have some of the best scenes in the series. My favorite part is Toy and Precious and that starts around book 8 iirc, and the best scenes with them are in 10.

There are parts that drudge along in those books, sure, but there are parts that have been building for 6-8 books and will echo on to the last book, it's a really cool midpoint.

But my favorite scene hands down is at the end of Lord of Chaos. You'll know it when you get there. There are only a couple others that come close - the Battle for the Two Rivers (which you'll have already read at this point) was one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted Yesterday, 10:15 AM

Having now read the newsletter fully, there was something else I thought might be of interest, especially for those of you who have heard us ranting on about how great Sanderson is and are thinking about reading something of his to see for yourself.

The Way of Kings is free in ebook in the US!

If you missed the news, The Way of Kings is free as part of a promotion on iBooks in the US for the launch of iOS 8. From now until the end of the year, you can download it completely free in iBooks on your iOS device or a Mac, or just using iTunes even on a Windows computer. And, not to be outdone, Amazon price-matched it for the Kindle in the US, though I'm not sure how long that will last. (Do note also that the book is DRM-free, so if you download it from either place, you should be able to read it on a variety of devices—or even your desktop computer.)

This is pretty awesome, so go grab a book before it goes back to regular price! And if you don’t mind sharing the link with your friends, I’d appreciate it. I figure with Book Three in the works (no release date yet, sorry), the more people who read the first, the better!

Here's the link
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#639 depricated  Icon User is online

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Posted Yesterday, 10:23 AM

I get such a fanboner for this guy...DRM free <3
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (43 Pages)
  • +
  • « First