What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

• (54 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

805 Replies - 39741 Views - Last Post: 19 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:57 PM

@neog - the series is amazing.. More so if you have more King books under your belt.

@jon - thanks for the bolo suggestion. Solid read. Now it is the 'Monater Hunter Inc' series!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:57 AM

So this happened.. Terry Pratchett, Author and Satirist, Passes Away at Age 66

I don't think I have read any of the disc world books, but I think they are buried in the middle of my list.. Good Omens was pretty solid, but

Is there any particular book I should start with (assuming they may not be numbered)?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:12 AM

Technically speaking, the Discworld books don't necessarily run in a specific order. It's kind of like having several series of books that are all set in the same fictional universe.

My favorite series of the set is the Tiffany Aching series (Wee Fee Men/Hat Full of Sky/Wintersmith/I Shall Wear Midnight), but I would recommend starting with The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic (Rincewind Series).

Being parts of the same universe, you'll find the series-within-the-series overlap and intertwine on occasion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Conversion Software Version 7.0

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:37 AM

I found it was kind of like Xanth.

Clever and amusing at first, but after about the third book it's just "yea, we get it"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:39 AM

Yay! Just got my copy of WhiteSand yesterday. I haven't read much of it yet, but it is definitely larger than I was expecting (almost 1000 pages).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:12 PM

I started reading Consider Phlebas, which is the first novel in the Culture series written by Iain Banks, and I am also reading the quantum universe by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. Both are quite interesting books.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

View PostSpock., on 12 March 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

I started reading Consider Phlebas, which is the first novel in the Culture series written by Iain Banks,

Ahem. That's Iain M. Banks. :)
Lovely stuff. Like Discworld, there really isn't an order to these - you can read them in publication order, or just grab them as you come to them. And they're pretty much all brilliant, so it's hard to go wrong, really. (I suppose there are some reasonable reasons to not read The Hydrogren Sonata first, now that I think about it, but that's mostly because of some interesting novelistic decisions he made in writing it, not because of anything to do with the plot)

You should also consider reading his Iain Banks stuff as well - there's some really great books there. Whit, for example, is pretty awesome.

and I am also reading the quantum universe by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. Both are quite interesting books.

How is this one? Cox seems like a good sort of explainer - I've heard him on radio. Is he good in print as well?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:32 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 12 March 2015 - 06:24 PM, said:

View PostSpock., on 12 March 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

I started reading Consider Phlebas, which is the first novel in the Culture series written by Iain Banks,

Ahem. That's Iain M. Banks. :)/>/>
Lovely stuff. Like Discworld, there really isn't an order to these - you can read them in publication order, or just grab them as you come to them. And they're pretty much all brilliant, so it's hard to go wrong, really. (I suppose there are some reasonable reasons to not read The Hydrogren Sonata first, now that I think about it, but that's mostly because of some interesting novelistic decisions he made in writing it, not because of anything to do with the plot)

You should also consider reading his Iain Banks stuff as well - there's some really great books there. Whit, for example, is pretty awesome.

Thank you for the recommendations. Over the past several months I have become increasingly interested in the sci fi genre not only in the world of film, but also in the realm of books. That being said, however, being in school does not lend much time to read many books so I just pick at what I can without getting too stressed out about not tending to other school-related books.

Again, thank you; I am always look for new material to read.

and I am also reading the quantum universe by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. Both are quite interesting books.

How is this one? Cox seems like a good sort of explainer - I've heard him on radio. Is he good in print as well?

I find him to not only be quite eloquent in his descriptions, but also very clear. Some of the stuff that he talks about is very counter-intuitive and makes me have to re-read what he said several times in order for it to click, but for the most part I find his explanations to be quite clear and fascinating. I'm not too far in for this book, but it is interesting thus far--especially his explanation of how a photon behaves not only like a wave, but as a particle as well.

If you're interested in physics but don't want to tediously cull through textbooks to understand in 30 pages which can clearly be explained by Cox in two paragraphs, I'd recommend picking up his book. Also, I'd recommend watching some interviews with him, as well--he is a very fascinating person.

This post has been edited by xclite: 19 March 2015 - 10:57 AM
Reason for edit:: Removing extra quotes

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:21 AM

Just finished "Dead Harvest" - picked it up on a whim, never had heard of it before. Pretty forgettable - obviously written with the screenplay in mind, lots of running around and shouting and trying to distract me from the plot. It's sold as a neo-noir, but apart from the hat-tip to Hammett and the cliched every-noir-ever conclusion it's mostly a zombie movie with demons instead of zombies and a book instead of a movie.

Jim Butcher fans will probably eat it up, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Conversion Software Version 7.0

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

I haven't been reading lately :( it sucks. On the upside, Янемного понимаю русский.

(and I probably murdered that)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

Halo: Broken Circle and the last 2 Harry Potter books are on my list... after I finish reading through my Data Abstraction & Problem Solving with Java book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (54 Pages)
  • +
  • « First