What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

• (40 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

589 Replies - 31072 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

#31 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Recently finished a sort of history/group biography of Bolívar, O'Higgins, and five other notable characters involved in ending colonial rule in Central and South America. ("The Liberators") Fascinating area, but this was more of an overview of the territory than a serious piece of history. If you're as ignorant of the history as I am, this is at least gives you some landmarks. However, as history it's pretty scattered and geared towards the good anecdotes rather than trying to tell any coherent story.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Should anyone care, these are the books I am currently reading.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Reading Robert Jordan's "The Eye of the World" in the Wheel of time series. Only 20 years late, I know.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

POPULAR

About to start Ender's Game, because I've never read that series. I got a Kindle PaperWhite for my birthday last week, and apparently that was all it took to make me a borderline-dysfunctional bookworm.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#35 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Ha.. I hear ya.. I have been the same with my Nook. Now hit up goodreads and start that whole social media for folks who read and the transformation will be complete.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#36 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

You don't need no stinkin' social media to be a borderline-dysfunctional bookworm...

Ender's Game is a great book, one of the must-read stories if you ask me. Hope you like it!
The rest of the series didn't grab me so much, but others seem to enjoy them, so maybe you will too.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

@modi123_1: I totally heard that in Emperor Palpatine's voice.

@jon.kiparsky: Yeah, I'm almost ashamed to say that I haven't read it yet. Between being a useless druggy and being a Marine, I missed out on like a decade of intellectual and cultural development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#38 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

Just took a mosey through my local bookshop and found that Douglas Hofstadter and Daniel Dennet both have new books out - so my wallet it a little lighter now, and my bookshelves are a little heavier. The Hofstadter is about analogy and creative thinking - this may be thin soup for him, but he's clever enough that I'm willing to give him a pass. Dennett's is a collection of what he refers to as "intuition pumps" - by which he means tools for creative thought. So as always, these two great minds are on the same track.

In other reading, I've been struck lately by the incredible similarity in style between Raymond Chandler and Samuel Beckett. Really, really starting to enjoy Beckett. I hope this doesn't mean I need to move to France and start smoking black turtlenecks or something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

View Post5thWall, on 07 February 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

I started The Alloy of Law, by Brandon Sanderson but got busy and put it down, so I may start it up again from the beginning.

I read this recently. It's not as good as the Mistborn trilogy, but it's still pretty good. Intersting to see how he has the world develop after Mistborn.

Also on Brandon Sanderson, I've recently finished the Way of Kings (both parts), and am now looking for more in that series.

Currently, however (sticking with the Brandon Sanderson theme), I'm reading A Memory of Light. Almost finished it and apart from a few minor plot holes, and too abrupt an ending, a very nice conclusion to the Wheel of Time.

In my pile of books yet to read are several Game of Thrones novels (books 3-1, 3-2, and 4), a few ancient Star Trek and Star Wars novels my other half bought me, and a steampunk type trilogy by a guy I've never heard of before. I do steampunk roleplay (Space 1889), so a novel based in that kind of setting looks intersting, whether I remember what the author is called or not :)/>

This post has been edited by Bort: 26 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'm reading Real Time Rendering, The Third edition. Though for some fucking reason, I never seem to get past the first 20 pages, so it's an infinite loop of the first 20 pages. Until some bastard puts a break statement in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#41 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Almost done with 'Rewired: The Post-Cyberpunk Anthology'... over all - meh. The stories were not particularly amazing or rememberable.. About halfway through Cory Doctorow's "When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth", and that seems like the best so far.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

Right now I'm reading the Chronicles of Amber - just starting on the Courts of Chaos, finished the Hand of Oberon last night

Once I finish these 5 I'm going to start on the next 5. They're very small books. After those I'm planning to read Stephen King's "Under the Dome." and then from there I do not know.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:21 AM

View PostBort, on 26 April 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

View Post5thWall, on 07 February 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

I started The Alloy of Law, by Brandon Sanderson but got busy and put it down, so I may start it up again from the beginning.

I read this recently. It's not as good as the Mistborn trilogy, but it's still pretty good. Intersting to see how he has the world develop after Mistborn.

Also on Brandon Sanderson, I've recently finished the Way of Kings (both parts), and am now looking for more in that series.

Brandon has said that his plans for the future of the Mistborn series are about exploring the world through time. He's up in the air, it seems, about where to go with it once he finishes what he's doing right now with it - he's said that he wants to write about the Southern Continent, where people use the magic in very interesting ways, but also that he wants to go farther into the future and have a more modern setting. I love Mistborn, and I thought Alloy of Law was awesome. He also mentioned possibly another book set in the Final Empire, which would be cool imo.

And.."both parts" of Way of Kings? I only have the one book...which is split two parts internally but I didn't think it was standard to refer to it that way. Is there another book?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

I'm reading The Grapes Of Wrath at the moment. It's a wonderful, and sobering story. Steinbeck has such a way with words! I also just started Turing's Cathedral, as I found it sitting in the bookshop and couldn't resist. It promises to be, more or less, a biography of John von Neumann, mathematician, computer inventor, atom bomb maker, genius. I've put it in the lavatory for "reading time", but I want to finish the aforementioned Grapes first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

Programming Ruby
Agile Web Development With Rails
PHP, MySQL, Javascript and CSS
Star Trek - The Original Series

Are my current rotation
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (40 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »