What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

• (40 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

589 Replies - 31274 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

View Postpeace_fixation, on 27 April 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

I'm reading The Grapes Of Wrath at the moment. It's a wonderful, and sobering story. Steinbeck has such a way with words! I also just started Turing's Cathedral, as I found it sitting in the bookshop and couldn't resist. It promises to be, more or less, a biography of John von Neumann, mathematician, computer inventor, atom bomb maker, genius. I've put it in the lavatory for "reading time", but I want to finish the aforementioned Grapes first.

I thoroughly enjoyed Grapes of Wrath in high school. Depressed the hell out of me, but sometimes that's how it goes.

Looking to knock out Joy of Clojure this weekend, and then hopefully I'll start on some fiction that I've let stack up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#47 depricated  Icon User is online

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

View Postunknown500, on 10 March 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

Reading Robert Jordan's "The Eye of the World" in the Wheel of time series. Only 20 years late, I know.

Maaaaaan I'm so excited for you. I love the series, thoroughly. Due to money being too tight for books atm, I'm going to reread that instead of buying the next set of the Chronicles of Amber and Under the Dome. If I could unread any series and enjoy it for the first time again, it would be The Wheel of Time. It's not for everyone, though - I hope you enjoy it!

View Posth4nnib4l, on 12 March 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

About to start Ender's Game, because I've never read that series. I got a Kindle PaperWhite for my birthday last week, and apparently that was all it took to make me a borderline-dysfunctional bookworm.

Haha. Ender's Game is amazing. I hope you like it. It branches in two paths from there, if you're not aware - I've read every book in the series and would be happy to give feedback on which 'path' you should go down first, if you'd like. But I'd have to know what you enjoy to really pin it down right.

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 12 March 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

You don't need no stinkin' social media to be a borderline-dysfunctional bookworm...

Ender's Game is a great book, one of the must-read stories if you ask me. Hope you like it!
The rest of the series didn't grab me so much, but others seem to enjoy them, so maybe you will too.

I thought Kindle PaperWhite was just a type of Kindle. I dunno...it's social media?

I gotta give props here cause I never see anyone admit that tastes very. Which series did you pick up? It branches two different ways - just curious, if you didn't like one you might enjoy the other.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#48 Bort  Icon User is online

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

View Postdepricated, on 27 April 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

View PostBort, on 26 April 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

View Post5thWall, on 07 February 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

I started The Alloy of Law, by Brandon Sanderson but got busy and put it down, so I may start it up again from the beginning.

I read this recently. It's not as good as the Mistborn trilogy, but it's still pretty good. Intersting to see how he has the world develop after Mistborn.

Also on Brandon Sanderson, I've recently finished the Way of Kings (both parts), and am now looking for more in that series.

Brandon has said that his plans for the future of the Mistborn series are about exploring the world through time. He's up in the air, it seems, about where to go with it once he finishes what he's doing right now with it - he's said that he wants to write about the Southern Continent, where people use the magic in very interesting ways, but also that he wants to go farther into the future and have a more modern setting. I love Mistborn, and I thought Alloy of Law was awesome. He also mentioned possibly another book set in the Final Empire, which would be cool imo.

And.."both parts" of Way of Kings? I only have the one book...which is split two parts internally but I didn't think it was standard to refer to it that way. Is there another book?

The copy I bought was Way of Kings, Part One, and the one I got from the library (damn Waterstones running out of stock) was Way of Kings, Part Two. Of course, it is entirely possible that it was originally one long book, later split into two like they started doing with the Wheel of Time.

I'd like to see him do a Mistborn book set in between the Mistborn trilogy and Alloy of Law, where Spook at least is still about (guessing he is the revered Mistborn mentioned in Alloy).

View Postdepricated, on 30 April 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

View Postunknown500, on 10 March 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

Reading Robert Jordan's "The Eye of the World" in the Wheel of time series. Only 20 years late, I know.

Maaaaaan I'm so excited for you. I love the series, thoroughly. Due to money being too tight for books atm, I'm going to reread that instead of buying the next set of the Chronicles of Amber and Under the Dome. If I could unread any series and enjoy it for the first time again, it would be The Wheel of Time. It's not for everyone, though - I hope you enjoy it!

Expect the Wheel of Time to slow down towards the middle of the series, about book 5 or 6, and stay fairly slow paced and spread out for a good few books. It'll pick up again around book 10 though, and it is really necessary to set everything up to bring the series to a really good conclusion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#49 depricated  Icon User is online

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

Haha book 10 is largely regarded as the worst of the bunch. I saw a faux cover for it where someone had photoshopped the text to read

"Characters Show Up"

Wait here it is!
Posted Image

But yes, it does slow down a bit - though imo the slow part is books 7 and 8, and 10. 9 is really exciting, and 10 is that last climb at the end of the roller coaster before it's a fast, rough, wild ride to the end. But despite being slow, all the stuff that happens in those books IS important.

This post has been edited by depricated: 30 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:07 AM

Re-reading George RR Martins "A song of ice and fire" nearly up to the third book again, love the fantasy novels. Also "Database Fundamentals" which is required reading for a Database 1 class i'm taking. In some parts its poorly written (in my opinion) but at least its free i suppose.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#51 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

Believe it or not Moby Dick. Just read art of war and some sherlock holmes.

Also just read the gunslinger.

up next is more sherlock holmes
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#52 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

I really enjoyed Moby Dick when I read it - that was a few years ago, it might be time for another visit.

I just came across a fantastic book at the MIT bookstore: Bicycling Science by David Wilson. He goes into just about everything about bicycles, and he's an excellent writer. For someone like me who hasn't thought about biology since high school, his section on the development of power in the muscles and the metabolism involved is amazingly clear.

http://www.powells.c...o/9780262731546

Fictionwise, I recently finished Bowl of Heaven by Niven and Benford. I loved the premise of the solar system as starship, but a lot of the book felt sort of clumsy and half-assed. I don't know if I'll bother to read the followup - not sure I care how the story ends.

I'm not sure what the next fiction will be, but I have Iain M. Banks' Surface Detail, and one from China Mieville, and the most recent Orhan Pamuk all lined up. We'll see which one I grab when I make my after-dinner coffee tonight.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

Currently reading my English teacher's book Shadow Eyes as well as Apple's Canvas Guide to offset the girlishness of the former.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#54 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

Picked up 'Future on Ice' (finally).. so I can have some closure from 'Future on Fire' read oodles of years ago.

The stories are solid, but the lengthy forward by OSC, and then the mini-forwards about each author/store makes it like reading a second book... a book where OSC rants and raves about what is and isn't sci-fi, how he hasn't read/been into any sci-fi (that is not his own) since 1989, his hate on cyberpunk, and some extra hate on Starwars. I swear it's like reading a good anthology with some nutjob's blog posts printed off and shoved sporadically throughout the book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#55 depricated  Icon User is online

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

View PostDarenR, on 10 May 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

How was the Gunslinger? I've been considering getting into the Dark Tower - I've read heaps of other Stephen King books and I understand it ties them together?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#56 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

The Gunslinger was awesome as a stand alone book, and the rest of the series is insanely cool. If you have a decent breadth of Stephen King read you will find he pulls in concepts, threads stories, and provides a rich color to characters through out his collection. Not necessarily "ties them together" in some sort of mega story, but puts them into an interesting web or tapestry. Well worth the ride...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#57 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

View Postdepricated, on 10 May 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

View PostDarenR, on 10 May 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

How was the Gunslinger? I've been considering getting into the Dark Tower - I've read heaps of other Stephen King books and I understand it ties them together?

it was good-- was more of a reread for me but i thought it was the better of the tower books
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#58 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

On today's fare:

Posted Image

(14.5mb pdf)
http://gomsx.net/han...orbeginners.pdf
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#59 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

Oh, that looks like fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Started reading "The Confusion" by Neal Stephenson. It's confusing, so far.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (40 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »