What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

• (43 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

638 Replies - 32136 Views - Last Post: Yesterday, 10:23 AM

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are you reading and what is on your book stack to read?

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostXupicor, on 06 June 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

@jon.kiparsky - you just gave me three new positions on my "to read" list, and they're pretty high up there. Thank you. :)/>

Glad to help!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Just started The Theoretical Minimum by Susskind and Hrabovsky, and I have four different programming books; however, my inability to choose which one to start with first has caused me to only be about two chapters into each. I also have The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... too..., but I don't want to read it yet because I'm afraid it will ruin the movie for me.

EDIT: Man, I didn't think that would actually kill the thread...

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 07 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:25 AM

Just finished this one:

Posted Image

Was a fairly good read but the ending was kind of abrupt. Almost like the author got tired and said "how can I tie this whole thing up in the next 5 pages?".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

Reading books on Montague semantics as I will be working on a project this summer which will attempt to preform semantic mapping of natural languages to a Montague like semantics in order to preform deeper sentiment analysis than the current state of the field does...or that's the idea any way, who knows weather it will work.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/9027711429
http://www.amazon.co...71221182&sr=1-2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

I recommend Computational Geometry for anyone doing anything video game engine related, but the topics inside are of use to everyone doing stuff with floating-point coordinate geometry. One of the authors, Mark Overmars, was later known for creating Game Maker back in the later 90s a while after he became known for his work with PRMs (of course these days Yoyo Games corrupted Game Maker and turned it into a steaming pile of DRMware).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#81 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

I need a new book to (read/listen) to. I am interested in mystery or scifi. I have no clue what is out there that is good anymore and I would like some suggestions on books if you dont mind.

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

The recently late Iain M. Banks was among the best writers in English of the last few decades. His Culture novels will keep you busy for a little while, and you can always switch over to his slightly-alter ego, Iain Banks for more contemporary-themed stuff.

For mystery, if you haven't read Chandler and Hammett, go ahead and read them. If you have, you're more or less done...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostDarenR, on 14 June 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

I need a new book to (read/listen) to. I am interested in mystery or scifi. I have no clue what is out there that is good anymore and I would like some suggestions on books if you dont mind.

Thanks

If you've never read the Lost Fleet series, I'm happy to recommend them. The link there goes to the first book in the series. Good space opera.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

You know, for those of you looking for new stuff to read, you might think about trying to snag books on librarything.com's early reviewer program. Basically, publishers give away books and hope you'll review them and create "buzz" about them. Most of the books are crap, of course, but I've had some good ones come my way. Free, of course. (and of course, I have no connection with librarything, apart from I used to keep track of my books there, except I haven't been doing that lately)

This month's list has a collection of stories by Barry Malzberg and a collection of essays "devoted to the terminology used in the fields of videogame theory and videogame studies. Videogame scholars provide theoretical critiques of existing terminology, mount arguments for the creation of new terminology, articulate terminological gaps in the current literature devoted to videogame studies, and share phenomenological studies of videogames that facilitate terminological theory."
Also, several books on baseball, a volume on scarcity, and a history of San Francisco parking garages. Really.

I don't know how they select reviewers, but it's an interesting way to get books you might not have otherwise heard about. (such as the collection of stories from Super-Science Fiction that I got last fall)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#85 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

The humble bundle ebook2 is pretty damn intriguing.

Cory Doctorow - Little Brother
Cherie Priest - Boneshaker
Robert Charles Wilson - Spin
Lois McMaster Bujold - Shards of Honor

Pay more than $9.56 and unlock:
Peter Beagle - The Last Unicorn Deluxe Edition
Wil Wheaton - Just a Geek
Randall Munroe - xkcd volume 0
Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean - Signal to Noise
Holly Black - Poison Eaters and Other Stories
Ryan North, Matthew Bennardo, and David Malki (Editors) - Machine of Death

A few of of the regular books were on my 'to read' list anyways, but throw in Wil Wheaton and the Last unicorn? Pffsst.. sold!

In random book news - Apple lost the antitrust case about price fixing ebooks..

The US Department of Justice has won its antitrust case against Apple, with District Judge Denise Cote today ruling that "Apple conspired to restrain trade" by leading a conspiracy to raise e-book prices above the low prices charged by Amazon.

"The Plaintiffs have shown that the Publisher Defendants conspired with each other to eliminate retail price competition in order to raise e-book prices, and that Apple played a central role in facilitating and executing that conspiracy," Cote wrote in her decision. "Without Apple’s orchestration of this conspiracy, it would not have succeeded as it did in the Spring of 2010."

Just how Apple will be punished is yet to be determined. The plaintiffs "are entitled to injunctive relief," Cote wrote. "A trial on damages will follow."

cite

... and Amazon has been slowly raising prices.

Other writers and publishers have the same complaint. They say Amazon, which became the biggest force in bookselling by discounting so heavily it often lost money, has been cutting back its deals for scholarly and small-press books. That creates the uneasy prospect of a two-tier system where some books are priced beyond an audience’s reach.
Now, with Borders dead, Barnes & Noble struggling and independent booksellers greatly diminished, for many consumers there is simply no other way to get many books than through Amazon. And for some books, Amazon is, in effect, beginning to raise prices.

Stephen Blake Mettee, chairman of the board of the Independent Book Publishers Association, said that Amazon was simply following in the tradition of any large company that gains control of a market. “You lower your prices until the competition is out of the picture, and then you raise your prices and get your money back,” he said.

cite2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Under the Dome by Stephen King and In the Night Room by Peter Straub. I am also reading the Sandman comics and I am currently on the first volume.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#87 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

Has anyone read Cory Doctorow's "Little Brother"? I got about thirty pages into it and ended up putting it down. It was getting hard to read with my eyes rolling at some of the crap being written, and the near boilerplate online-forum script kiddie / peacock like behavior of the protagonist.

I heard my old sixth grade english teacher's voice chiming in "show don't tell" as this insipid character explains damn near everything his does, everything he says, and his jokes with a mix of 'l33t' speak (I guess for geek-validation by the author).

.. does this book get any better or are the first few chapters pretty much the tone for the book?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

So, I know the entire zombie genre from TV to movies to books has been overdone. That said, if you have an even marginal interest in the topic, I just finished reading book 4 in the D.J. Molles series The Remaining and if you want to pick up a book (actually, you can't...it's Kindle digital only) that you won't put down til it's done, this is it.

You know how Amazon has that feature where anyone can publish? 99.9999% of the amateur stuff that gets published like that on Amazon is utter crap (think erotic Twilight fan-fic with a My Little Pony crossover). This series is the exception. I read book 1 and then bought the rest of the series immediately.

The way the world goes to hell and everyone turns into a zombie (in the book, around 90% of the population) is actually plausibly explained. The author also doesn't ignore such obvious trouble points like "maybe they'll starve to death", "can they swim", "how do they live if they're dead" and so on. Seriously, it's a fantastic read. Better than most professional author's better efforts. And the books themselves are cheap ($2.99 for Amazon Kindle).

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 05 August 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

Has anyone read Cory Doctorow's "Little Brother"? I got about thirty pages into it and ended up putting it down. It was getting hard to read with my eyes rolling at some of the crap being written, and the near boilerplate online-forum script kiddie / peacock like behavior of the protagonist.

I heard my old sixth grade english teacher's voice chiming in "show don't tell" as this insipid character explains damn near everything his does, everything he says, and his jokes with a mix of 'l33t' speak (I guess for geek-validation by the author).

.. does this book get any better or are the first few chapters pretty much the tone for the book?

The style doesn't change much throughout, and you're right - it's a YA novel, and he's got the explain-o-tron set to full power. But I actually enjoyed it - I read it in an afternoon on a camping trip maybe two years back, and it was a good gripping afternoon's reading. More important, though, is what happened when I then gave my copy to friend who is a teacher, teaching 6th grade at the time. She gave it to one of her students at the start of the year, and that single copy went, from hand to hand, through her whole class. Every one of them loved it.
So maybe you're not the target market for this, but I do love the fact that about thirty kids went ape over this quickie little adventure novel, and that they learned some useful things about personal security and privacy along the way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#90 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

I need to put down my phone and pick up a book again. I haven't done any hardcore reading in a good month. I can feel my brain atrophying as I sit here. :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (43 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »