12 Replies - 1884 Views - Last Post: 08 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

"People who say vim/emacs are better are clinically insane." -

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

So, I have this class "Design of Information Technology Systems", terrible boring course I skip 99% of the time and complete the '1 month projects' in java in 2 days. Anywho... this pudgy short red headed guy that looks like he's still in highschool (not really, we checked his age) planted on his homework page about IDE's (and please god I still do not why I still get the talk on what an IDE is from these courses):

People who say vim/emacs are better are clinically insane.

My jaw dropped, why would a professor come out blatantly say such a thing? I'm a heavy IDE user, and even I know this is probably one of the dumbest things I've heard a teacher say in my entire time at college. Not to mention, pretty damn rude and unprofessional.

Ahhh... college.. only 2 semesters left...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: "People who say vim/emacs are better are clinically insane." -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: "People who say vim/emacs are better are clinically insane." -

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. The guy obviously doesn't like using them and doesn't see why anyone would like them. Its not uncommon. How many people do you know who hate working with Windows/Mac OS/Linux/whatever and say that its brought from the depths of hell. There are always people who don't like things.

If you don't agree with him then don't agree with him. It's not a reason to go and drop your jaw about. Plus he's just saying this to people on a course. If he starts broadcasting it around everywhere then maybe he is a going too far. Since when has it been shocking to find a teacher telling their students whats good/bad? You see it all the time.

This post has been edited by Ryano121: 07 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

Well, that's amazing. As we know, hyperbole is completely unheard-of in tech. Particularly on subjects as solid and settled and thoroughly agreed-upon as "which editor/IDE is the best?".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

But Ryan, professors aren't supposed to have opinions! They're not human... they're like robots they keep in the broom closet when I'm not there.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

I agree with Ryan, you are taking this a bit too seriously. In today's development environment unless you HAVE to code without some sort of desktop environment/window manager you're probably creating more work for yourself by using vim (Note: I havent used emacs enough to have an opinion on it) or at the very least not being as productive as you could be. If you love vim/emacs to death and want to use it then go right ahead but don't be surprised that some people don't want to use vim (and emacs?) beyond what they were designed for, productively programming in a shell, because in the end its all about using what will help you produce best code you can.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

But I am certifiably clinically insane, and I am certifiably a VIM user who ascribes to alt/religion.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

View PostUnen, on 10 February 2013 - 12:22 AM, said:

I agree with Ryan, you are taking this a bit too seriously.

Right answer

In today's development environment unless you HAVE to code without some sort of desktop environment/window manager you're probably creating more work for yourself by using vim (Note: I havent used emacs enough to have an opinion on it) or at the very least not being as productive as you could be. If you love vim/emacs to death and want to use it then go right ahead but don't be surprised that some people don't want to use vim (and emacs?) beyond what they were designed for, productively programming in a shell, because in the end its all about using what will help you produce best code you can.

Wrong reason.
The OP was not saying that anyone else has to use emacs or vi, they were saying that it's a little bit hyperbolic to deploy terminology like "clinically insane" about someone's choice of editor. And that's true: it is hyperbolic. Welcome to the holy war, here's your crack pipe and your dictionary of fruitless invective. Have a nice jihad!

Really, the only answer to this sort of thing is, don't take any of it seriously, there's not much point. Either someone uses a real editor, or their opinions don't matter - if they're foolish enough to think an IDE is a tool for programming and not a toy for children, what do you care what they think?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

People are lazy, & they like graphics. The time that it takes to learn the shortcuts in vi is time consuming, but the rewards are fast paced. Therefor, for most Americans, anyone that wants to put work into something must not be thinking clearly.

Your professor is a lazy fuck & expects the same of the students. Thus his statement.

Just my opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

If you're good with VIM or Emacs then they are substantially faster than IDEs. How? Less time auto correcting or other so called features that quite honestly get in the way and don't assume things well past a intro-mid range programmer. An IDE will not and from my experience can not keep up with how fast I type or think.

The second I decide to hit the code I know exactly where I'm going and quite frankly an IDE has always gotten well in the way of doing that. Past Syntax Highlighting and highlighting matching brackets it gets annoying fast.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

For what it's worth- Text Editor vs. IDE.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Everyone is always going to have ridiculously opinionated discussions about the choice of editor/IDE - this conversation has been going around in some form or the other since the birth of the internet. The only way to win the argument is not to participate. So don't. But expect that these discussions, even involving professors and other people of note, are still going to happen.

This post has been edited by wordswords: 13 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

But you would be crazy to use Vim/Emacs in a design class. The whiteboard is clearly the tool for drawing diagrams, followed closely by the pen and paper.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

I don't know if I'd want to use a whiteboard for writing specs...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1