2 Replies - 1457 Views - Last Post: 07 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Question for programing track.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

I do not know if this is the right place to put this topic but he her goes.

I`m new to the forum and new to programming. Actually I haven't even started to learn any programming. Before I Start asking some questions I want to talk about what I`ve done with my life so far.

I`ve always been around computers. I was taking parts out of computers since I was 6 (I'm 31 now) After high school I didnít want to go to college. I was to busy with friends chasing skirt with the hopes of finding something to do with my life along the way. I went to school to become a paramedic/fire fighter and did that while working in different aspects of the IT Field. I got a 2 year degree in computer science at my local college. I Got out of the paramedic field because of personal reasons (broke my hand very badly) since then I have been jumping IT jobs from system admin to pulling cable. I know I have ADHD and I get very bored setting up users or fixing problems such as telling users they have to plug the power cable into the laptop because although it is wireless you still need to plug power in. With that being said I do enjoy working with computers it comes very natural to me.

So why am I on this programming forum..

Since I was a kid and playing video games I`ve always been interested in programming and designing things. I took a basic html class in high school and I remember loving my final project. I havenít touched html since high school though. I thought about going to school for it when doing my a.s but I hate math. I know by reading post's here programming isnít all about math. In Fact I hate math but I love it when it pertains to something I enjoy. A part of me would love to get into programming to make programs, make games and just to be able to get evolved with development communities. When playing games I am always into modding although I usually donít do the actual modding. I like testing them and trying to figure out how it works. I`ll usually tweak setting but thatís as far as I will dare to get into it because I don't know how to script or code.

I`ve read a bunch of articles about adhd in the programming field. I love troubleshooting, I love seeing things coming together and I like it when I figure something out after days of trying to make it work. I also love going into burning buildings and the excitement that comes with it haha but I canít do that anymore. I belong to a flight sim communities and a few of my online friends are programmers and I always see the creating something. I really see myself doing projects like that. IT would be even better to do it and make money.. I hope I am not rambling haha so here are some questions..

1. Where do I start? I`ve been looking into local, online and just learn code in 30 days type schools. For someone who is 30 what is the best path? I have no problem learning on my own.. I taught myself everything I know from setting up networks to deploying server by just messing around. But at the same time I want to learn coding the right way. I plan on learn C+,C++,java,etc... Like I said I want to be able to make useful stuff such as Paramedic/ff programs, maybe a game one day, I want to get a job,etc.

2. Will my age play a role in getting a job?

3. Anyone here a programmer with adhd?

4. Whatís the benefits for getting a degree vs watching videos or reading books?

I think the first thing I should do is try a 20-30 day program and see if I like it. Problem is there so many I want to pick the right one and not get burned because I have no clue what theyíre talking about. Can anyone refer me to one?

Sorry for this big post and thanks for your time.

Greg

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question for programing track.

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Question for programing track.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

I hope I am not rambling

You are. Most of that would be "introduce yourself". And boils down to saying "I love computers - how do I get a job coding?"

1. You start by learning and practicing, practicing, practicing, practicing (about 10,000 hours worth for most skills)
Spoiler

2. Well, yeah duh your age will matter. If you're 12 you're not getting hired. If you are 80, you're not getting hired.

3. Probably. It seems everyone has to have some condition now days. My suggestion is get passed it and don't try to use it as a crutch or reason why you need special consideration. As soon as you do that you've just labeled yourself as too much trouble, because then next guy applying for your job doesn't need a dedicated handler to keep them on task. Employers want people that can focus on a task and be self managing; not candidates for "short attention-span theater".

4. Degree shows you can sit through classes and learn at a much slower pace than others. But probably a little less scattered approach. Though in the end you'll take 4 years to learn about the same amount at 9 months with a couple good books. But degrees tend to garner higher wages once you get past the whole 'rookie' phase of your employment, and probably be a step towards your initial hiring. I'd suggest you learn at the faster self-taught pace and do the schooling just to get the paper. By the time you have the certificate you should also have a portfolio built up of programs you have made and sold to small companies in your area as well as contracts through places like vWorker.

From my FAQ list - these seem to fall in line with your thread:

• Q: What is the best programming language/OS? What programming language/OS should I learn?
    A:
    Spoiler

• Q: What language should I learn so I can be employable in the future? What's the future of software engineering? What should I study so I can be successful working at home?
    A:
    Spoiler

• Q: How do I become a programmer?
    A: Click the link

• Q: I'm not really sure what I want to do with my future? Do you guys like programming? I think I kinda like math and games and computers? What should I do or study?
    A:
    Spoiler

• Q: What's your installation like? What sofware do you use? What are your Visual Studio extensions?
    A:
    Spoiler

• So you want to be a game programmer...

• Q:How do I stay a free lance coder for a living?
    A:http://justcreatived...eelancing-life/

• Q: How do I become a better coder?
    Read this, and practice a lot.
    How to be a better coder

• Q: Are there any resources for small C# projects a novice to become a better coder?
    A:
    Spoiler

• Q: How do I sell the software I've developed?
    A:http://www.dreaminco...m_notifications

• Q: How do I decide how much to charge for my application?
    A: Read this
    A lot of questions about freelancing were covered in the Q&A with the Experts thread

• Q: How do I deploy my program / Make an installer?
    A: C# application deployment project
    Include the smallest .NET possible

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Question for programing track.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

wow... A lot of info... Thanks a lot!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +