6 Replies - 1306 Views - Last Post: 08 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advice on books

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

So... Not really sure which direction I want to go in.. I am looking at these 4 books.. Anyone have any advice.

Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies -

Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner, 3rd Edition -

Beginning C++ Through Game Programming -

Introduction to C# Joes 2 Pros

I want to make my first language exciting and beable to do somthing with it while i`m getting deeper in it or learning somthing else..

So far i`ve heard it all from learn python first but aftr i learn it is it useful? I`ve learn getting into java or C# will take the programing out of programings for noobs. Then i`ve heard c++ is a good place to start and bad because of its complex.

Any advice?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advice on books

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice on books

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Look.. I know... we all want our first one to be something exciting and sensual so we over think where to start, but honestly java, c++, or c# are all good languages to start with. What is important is you learn the concepts behind the syntax.. loops, data structures, common data types, how objects interact, etc. That's what's important about your first one!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

will they all do that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Check their indexes out on Amazon.. typically you can get an idea what they tell you by eyeballing the index.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 February 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Look.. I know... we all want our first one to be something exciting and sensual so we over think where to start, but honestly java, c++, or c# are all good languages to start with. What is important is you learn the concepts behind the syntax.. loops, data structures, common data types, how objects interact, etc. That's what's important about your first one!

So very true, and I love the analogy.

Python has the reputation of being very easy to learn, but I suspect you'll learn a lot more if you start with java or C++. I can't honestly recommend using a text intended for stupid people, since I don't believe you are one, and if it turns out you are then you probably should do something other than programming.

Lewis and Loftus have a good textbook for Java - it's pretty expensive if you buy the latest edition new, but you can safely drop back about two editions and get it for cheap. Java 5 was the last release that made changes which matter to you as a beginner, so if you're looking at an intro textbook you should just make sure it covers Java 5 or later.

For Java, you might also try going through the Tutoracles. They're actually a pretty effective introduction to the language.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I list a number of great books on my website spanning a list of languages. Might want to check it out when you get a minute.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1