8 Replies - 1280 Views - Last Post: 09 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need Advice on Retaking Class

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

So I've been doing some part time courses for the past year and have just been accepted to a full time program this Fall.

I have the option of applying credit for the classes I already took. This will lighten up my load ALOT. This is a very heavy course load school (8 classes a semester).

The only problem is, even if I do apply for credit, I still have to pay the full tuition. I don't get any money back for classes I opt out of.

I'm definitely not going to retake courses that are not really important (like business, fundamentals of computers).

But I'm thinking, should I re-take some programming fundamental courses? It's basically introduction to programming and intro to web development.

I passed these classes with very good marks, but if you asked me to take the finals on them again, I probably wouldn't do as well. I mean, the actual programming part of the exam I can probably still do well. But the multi-choice and short answer parts would be a little difficult for me to remember.

So my question is...since I'm paying for it anyways, should I retake these two classes? I mean, it's always good to get a really strong foundation on the fundamentals right?

On the other hand, there is also a chance I could do WORSE and maybe even fail the classes lol, that would totally suck...

This post has been edited by toad87: 08 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need Advice on Retaking Class

#2 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need Advice on Retaking Class

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

At no point in your post do you express an interest in the topics you mention. Surely you should be taking classes that interest you, rather than counting points and dollars.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

I thought it would be obvious that programming is my interest. That's why I'm asking if I should retake the intro to programming and web development classes.

I already said I'm not going to bother with the business class as I have no interest in it.

But yes, I am very interested in programming. I enjoy it immensely. I often have dreams about coding. It is almost an obsession. Programming and playing my guitar are about the only things I ever do these days.

This post has been edited by toad87: 08 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

I remain confused. If your interest in programming is so strong how could you expect to do worse in these subjects than you did before.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

View Postandrewsw, on 08 February 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

I remain confused. If your interest in programming is so strong how could you expect to do worse in these subjects than you did before.

Because the course load is much more demanding. I will be working part-time. There could be freak accidents (like one time I turned in a final project for a class but the contents was a project for another lol).

But seriously man, I just want to know if retaking these classes are going to benefit me or not. I'm not here to prove to you that I am a worthy programming student or some crap like that.

Thanks for your first advice though.

You know, I think I will just retake the classes. They should be easy since I've taken them already and will be a good refresher to stuff that I was foggy on.

If any of you guys have a good reason for me not to retake the classes, feel free to respond!

Thanks again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

At this point I am convinced, by you, that you should retake them. Of course it makes me wonder what all the money was being thrown at classes in the other school was for.. and that time.. and why, if given the chance to apply credit already received, you are not doing that, but hey I am just odd like that.

Side question - what have you been doing, programming wise, between the 'intro to programming' class at School A and this up and coming semester of 'intro to programming' at School B? Have you done any programming?

Side side question - what do you mean this school charges you for a class you didn't take? I understand them having a 'minimum credit' amount but that is why you are transferring classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Well I've been making a lot of different little programs. I made a solitaire game, a little database app for my cousin's business and I've pretty much just been tinkering around with GUI stuff. All of this in Java.

I've also been making a website to show my work and future work. HTML/Javascript/PHP stuff.

I'm also currently taking a more advanced Java course.

The school is a technical school. It's programs are arranged in sets. So the fees are not based on each class. It's just the cost of the overall program. It's a dumb system, but whatever.

Yes, I am upset about having to double pay for courses already taken...But what's done is done. I'm not going to cry over money. Learning is more important to me.

I'm going to retake the courses, not because I think I absolutely need them, but because I have to pay for them anyways and they will be good refreshers to the terms, ideas, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

If you don't mind would you PM me the school? I am now way curious.

If not - well.. I'll say I understand. ;)/>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

You're already paying for the courses -- from what I gather -- so I would take them if I were you. No sense wasting money. Plus if it feels like too heavy a course load, then you can always drop before the add/drop deadline no?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1