2 Replies - 1140 Views - Last Post: 08 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Question about java and android

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

So I have done some android programming, and by some i mean I have made a hello world app by following Google's tutorial so not really. I know android is programmed in java but I also know its a little different from what I remember gui calls are different, strings are different etc. However this morning I was looking and apparently there are some programs (even eclipse plugin) that will just convert java files to android. So my question is, as I am looking to get into app development, How similar / different are normal java and java programming for android? Does the converting process from just a standard java program to android work? or does it not really work. Thanks for any info pointing me in the right direction. Just don't want to get several hours into a program then realize It wont work on android :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question about java and android

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Question about java and android

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I suppose the answer to that depends on how well you know Java. If you know Java pretty well, then it's pretty much Java and the differences are all superficial. If you're not really solid on the core of Java, then it's going to feel very different, because all of the superficial things are totally different.

As for converting from one to another, go ahead and give it a try. Take some of your basic intro Java exercises and see if you can turn them into Android apps. That will actually help you learn Android pretty well, I think.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 08 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Question about java and android

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Thanks, I do know quite a bit as it was the langues I first learned and the language I took my both my data structures class with. From what I remember the differences were pretty small like using @string, do you know anything about the conversion process I mentioned? possibly do you know if it actually does any converting or simply changes extension name to .apk
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1