3 Replies - 1500 Views - Last Post: 10 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Ads in software

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

Hey there,
long time lurker, first time poster here =)
I've been thinking about ways to make money of my software recently. One interesting approach I thought of was: Integrating ads (like Adsense) in my programs. Now I know that Adsense doesn't allow this, but are there other Ad-Networks which allow this? Also, is this a good way to make money or will the amount be neglectable?

Greetings!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Ads in software

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ads in software

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

It sort of depends on the software, right? Games or websites sure.. but desktop apps? Eh I would think charging up front would be better on the payoff scale or using an 'app store' for apple, MS, or android.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

The chat programs from MS and Yahoo seem to have ads and they are desktop apps. The first versions of the Zune Player had ads and it's a desktop app. Steam's desktop client seems to display ads. The Epson print driver loves to display ads for Epson ink. :)

Of course, after listing all of that. Let it be known that those are programs that I despise and try to minimize my contact with.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

A little late to be bringing this post back up, but wanted to add a few points.

I think it really depends on what you have to work with in the first place. The type of application, the number of users, distribution methods etc..

With the few Skydiver pointed out, things like Yahoo messenger and steam, which expect users to spend a good deal of time using the in program features, without really lacking free screen real estate, it's a completely viable option.

If you look at Photoshop though.. a 200x300 square being occupied by ads, would push a huge number of users onto other software, just to avoid that chunk being out of the way (photoshop and huge being loose terms)

Also consider things like your ad infrastructure also.. Facebook and Curse are able to do things like this with their software because they already have the advertisers lined up, a ton of users, and in some sense are able to demand loyalty regardless of their ads.

All and all, if you plan that 100 people will ever use your software, would you rather get 100x$5 for your work as copies are sold, be them on app markets or otherwise. Or do you suspect your software will be in use by these 100 people long enough that the .01 per user per day that an advertiser may pay would eventually add up to over $500?

So to restate, it really depends on the particular market, number of users, amount of time they will spend using your software, the likelyhood of gathering actual click-throughs and/or sales commissions, your/ad companies ability to provide relevant ads to your users, etc..

And one more thought, is this the only version you will be able to release of this software? Adobe, Microsoft, and others users don't pay every couple of years for new versions of software without significant changes and updates. If your software is limited in the area of where it is able to scale, an ad based payment system may be best after all.

Edit: A point for Skydivers post also though, if you needed to convert a simple video file from DVD to Apple format for your ipad, are you more likely to buy a $10 program to do this and hope that you will need it again one day (after keeping track of the download or CD), or would you be more likely to download the free software with ads, which looked least like it would download extra toolbars and shenanigans onto your computer, so that you could just get it done and watch your movie? and I'm done, hope this helps.

This post has been edited by Takk: 10 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1