1 Replies - 2144 Views - Last Post: 14 March 2013 - 08:16 AM Rate Topic: -----

Poll: wxPython or PyQT (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is more suited for use in a text editor.

1. wxPython (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. PyQT/PySide (1 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

GUI for an text editor: wxPython or PyQT/PySide?

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

Ok I want to make a little text editor that will support plugins and stuff later but at the moment I am trying to figure out what GUI system to use as I have never used any of them.

I was looking at urwid but I am also evaluating more traditional GUI tool-kits like wxPython and PyQT or the alternate PySide implementation.

I want to make a text editor and be able to use pygments to do syntax highlighting if I can. Do any of these systems lend themselves to the task more then another? For example is there some way that pygments output could be directly used for syntax highlighting with some text editor widget.

Also perhaps a side question how would one implement a command pattern in a GUI tool-kit such as these so that I could implement undo and redo... To be clear I have no need for code I am just asking that for example, if I where taking in each keystroke i can easily think of how to accomplish a undo and redo system. Do these GUI tool-kits have something like that already implemented and if not is there any info on how things like that might be done.

Thanks all.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: GUI for an text editor: wxPython or PyQT/PySide?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: GUI for an text editor: wxPython or PyQT/PySide?

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Although I've never tried it with PyQt4, I know C++ Qt4 has an excellent libraries for syntax highlighting and undo/redo events.

Good Luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1