6 Replies - 4147 Views - Last Post: 13 February 2013 - 05:33 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Master Pages and Postback in ASP.NET

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hi,
I have only one Master Page in my app , and i used RadPanel for NAVIGATION in Site.

What i want is: When i navigate between pages through NAVIGATION, then MASTER PAGE CONTENT PLACE HOLDER Should only be
refreshed ,, Not the whole page.

any suggestion will be appreciated

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Master Pages and Postback in ASP.NET

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Master Pages and Postback in ASP.NET

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Your options are use Silverlight which does just that with a Navigation Application. Or have 1 page and just load the content dynamically.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Sounds like you need an UpdatePanel.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

View Post_HAWK_, on 09 February 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Your options are use Silverlight which does just that with a Navigation Application. Or have 1 page and just load the content dynamically.

Hi ,
i have only one master page and different pages opens in Content Place Holder of that master Page based on navigation panel in PANEL.

View Posth4nnib4l, on 12 February 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

Sounds like you need an UpdatePanel.

hi,
yes. update panel in ajax. but i donot know how to use it. i google it often to understand it. but in vain :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Sorry, that was a link to old content, here's the new link. There's a lot more info in there, too. You'll just have to read through the stuff and learn it. If you're going to be doing a lot of ASP.NET Web forms, it's something you'll need to learn anyway.

EDIT: Here's a link that explicitly shows you how to set your update panel up: UpdatePanel example

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 13 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

It sounds like you're trying to make a Single Page Application using WebForms. MasterPage's exist to make it easier to maintain a look and feel across multiple pages. If you are only wanting to have a single page and show different content within that one page then you really don't even need a MasterPage, and in fact having a MasterPage may make your task more difficult.

You will definitely want to make use of an UpdatePanel as suggested by h4nnib4l. However, if your application is going to contain very many "pages", then I think you're probably going to find that trying to use ASP.NET WebForms to create a Single Page App is an exercise in frustration. You're ViewState is most likely going to be out of control which will cause your application to be very sluggish. Depending on the complexity of the application I also wouldn't be surprised if you start running into problems with the application life cycle and trying to make sure that the correct content is being displayed at the right times.

Creating Single Page Apps with ASP.NET is usually done using MVC rather than WebForms. There are many tutorials out there on how to create them with MVC. Here's one from the ASP.NET website: SPA using knockout.js
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

The main question here is why are you trying to achieve this?

There are other options to look into, if you just want a neat way to tab through content then JQuery might be the answer?

JQuery Tabs
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1