How Do I Become a 3D Game Programmer

• (3 Pages)
  • +

39 Replies - 2754 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2013 - 04:23 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: How Do I Become a 3D Game Programmer

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Some points to note here, xanda:

1. My best programming skills were learned both a university and real world work experience. It is fair to say that I have never relied on a tutorial to learn anything.
2. You cannot replicate a college education with a combination of online tutorials and expert friends. Tutorials are rarely written by experts and always contain huge gaps in content/knowledge because of this. Expert friends are busy trying to earn a living and frankly have no desire to personally tutor anyone for free what they likely spent thousands to learn themselves, with a huge investment in time and effort.
3. If you want to be the big game developer you are going to have to take the same route that practically all programmers have taken. As I said, becoming a successful programmer in the industry is all about that piece of paper saying that you have been through a college degree and have a strong natural talent for making games.
4. College education is rigorously structured. How would you know if you are making the grade otherwise through what YOU believe is an adequate college education?

I could go on and on. Your vision is unrealistic, and your persistence with this vision is born of inexperience as a programmer and zero knowledge of the requirements to even get into games. Remember that no matter what you will always be competing against formally educated students and they will always be preferred.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you really need to see how it is. I have come across so many with the attitude that if I try hard enough I will do it. Alas, those that do actually do it by the cheapest means either have:

1. Connections in the industry who are prepared to try them out and give them the time to learn. This is extremely rare.
2. They exhibited a very strong natural talent to write and market their games with little to no effort. I have seen this twice in all my years.

I really don't know how else to get the point across any better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#32 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

1. My best programming skills were learned both a university and real world work experience. It is fair to say that I have never relied on a tutorial to learn anything.

Mine have been learned from reading a book, supplementing with online tutorials and DIC, and real world experience. I haven't learned much about programming from a classroom setting. A lot of people here feel the same way. Don't get tlhIn`toq started about the downsides to universities. :)

2. You cannot replicate a college education with a combination of online tutorials and expert friends. Tutorials are rarely written by experts and always contain huge gaps in content/knowledge because of this. Expert friends are busy trying to earn a living and frankly have no desire to personally tutor anyone for free what they likely spent thousands to learn themselves, with a huge investment in time and effort.

And yet a lot of senior and expert software developers spend their time writing quality content. I would hardly say Martyr2's blog entries qualify as sub-par. I think that if one goes to college to learn how to program, then that person will be very disappointed. College is about supplementing and learning specialized and technical aspects that are very difficult to learn on one's own.

Sorry if I'm coming across as argumentative. I just don't agree with the view that college is necessary to get into programming in general, just maybe specialized fields like research and game programming. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

again i thank you for all your input butch dean in apticular and everyone who communicated with me. trust me i hear what you are saying and appreciate you takeing the time out to show me i do think however with enough motivationa and the proper guidance( and i do think their are people who out of the sake of learning and the willingness to see people better themselves are willing to share what they know and assist in guidance) a university level of software development skill can be aquired without actually going to university.And as the same colleage professers go ahead a write books and have online blogs and lectures with the proper application it is heighly plausible that a non collage graduate could be a better programmer thn a collage graduate......

however seeing as this is comeing from you butchdean one of those experts i would have been hopefull to learn from i consider it wise to re-acess my moves and plans and the way i will execute them and hopefully achieve my goals.again thanks a million for your time
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 23 February 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

Mine have been learned from reading a book, supplementing with online tutorials and DIC, and real world experience. I haven't learned much about programming from a classroom setting. A lot of people here feel the same way. Don't get tlhIn`toq started about the downsides to universities. :)/>

And yet a lot of senior and expert software developers spend their time writing quality content. I would hardly say Martyr2's blog entries qualify as sub-par. I think that if one goes to college to learn how to program, then that person will be very disappointed. College is about supplementing and learning specialized and technical aspects that are very difficult to learn on one's own.

Sorry if I'm coming across as argumentative. I just don't agree with the view that college is necessary to get into programming in general, just maybe specialized fields like research and game programming. :)/>

What I'm saying here is very specific to game development, which is 99% of my programming experience. I think it would be foolish for me to claim it across the board of software development. We're discussing this on the game development forum, right? ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

View Postxanda, on 23 February 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

however seeing as this is comeing from you butchdean one of those experts i would have been hopefull to learn from i consider it wise to re-acess my moves and plans and the way i will execute them and hopefully achieve my goals.again thanks a million for your time

I can tell from everything that you have said that you are very young, and as such, even though you may have taken on board what I have said I feel that you will revert to your original path once you really realize how tough programming games is.

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you find that talent that within you to make the grade however possible. For the record I am more than familiar with your challenges having parents from the West Indies and South America myself. The key is to do great in school, improve your grammar when posting on forums, because I have to say that your written grammar as I see isn't good.

You have a lot of work to do, make sure you make the most of your time. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#36 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

What I'm saying here is very specific to game development, which is 99% of my programming experience. I think it would be foolish for me to claim it across the board of software development. We're discussing this on the game development forum, right? ;)

Touche! A fair point indeed. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

I honestly am aware that you can learn a lot from tutorials out there, but to be a pro game dev does require an education unless you have unreal talent. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#38 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

unless you have unreal talent.

No pun intended there. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostButchDean, on 23 February 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

I honestly am aware that you can learn a lot from tutorials out there, but to be a pro game dev does require an education unless you have unreal talent. :)/>

lol whats wrong with unreal talent.btw about to take a proper shot at that challenge do i need to be proficent in oop to solve it as i havent refreshed there as yet am in the process tho
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 23 February 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

unless you have unreal talent.

No pun intended there. :P/>

:D

View Postxanda, on 23 February 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

btw about to take a proper shot at that challenge do i need to be proficent in oop to solve it as i havent refreshed there as yet am in the process tho

You tell me. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +