How Do I Become a 3D Game Programmer

• (3 Pages)
  • +

39 Replies - 3006 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2013 - 04:23 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How Do I Become a 3D Game Programmer

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostButchDean, on 11 February 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

xanda, you really need to really spellcheck your posts. You are not making yourself look good at all.

Regarding the path you have chosen to learn, I'm not sure that it is the best for you. You need to start with assessing realistically how good you are.

Please have a go at this challenge and this one. For the route you have taken I would expect a very good attempt at these. I know the answers are already up there, but I will be able to tell if you are crapping me about.

sorry but its like im always in a hurry when i get a chance to log on i just glimpsed at the lights thing never tried it out or nothing but what i would do at a glimpse is where you commented to implement is put a if statement that checks the status of the lights and if it is in state 3 to reset it to 0 and after am done with that if function thinking it wont run if the lights arnt in state three or the green lights if you will is to increment the stoplight's current state

as said just checked the core.cpp dont have an i.d.e or anything set up just came here to know which direction to head. if you think so maybe i should just go back to my c++ books then?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

You have so much to learn. Excuses won't get you Sony or Google.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

if you think so maybe i should just go back to my c++ books then?

Yes!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostButchDean, on 11 February 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

You have so much to learn. Excuses won't get you Sony or Google.

View Postmodi123_1, on 11 February 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

if you think so maybe i should just go back to my c++ books then?

Yes!

ok then.I really thank you all for your help it is really appreciated.Maybe when I get some internet of my own I attempt this 3d programming thing again.

I still havent heard any suggestions about offline readible documentation about the directx i may still need it or is it a case where thier arnt any offline ones recommended by yall

And the book i chose is it a good way to go or what? I havent heard anything about it from you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

As said there are stickies at the top of this and the C++ forums that answer your questions. I won't, and nobody else will, repeat it all just for your benefit.

If you can't be bothered, I can't be bothered.

This post has been edited by ButchDean: 11 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

not to be ungratefull or anything but am not seeing what am asking for an offline pdf directx c++ tut?
and i see no mention of the book i said but its fromm c++'s inventer so im just go figured
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

I still havent heard any suggestions about offline readible documentation about the directx i may still need it or is it a case where thier arnt any offline ones recommended by yall

Plenty of books with great reviews on amazon.

And the book i chose is it a good way to go or what? I havent heard anything about it from you

Are you talking about that c++ book referenced a bunch of posts earlier? Sure.. it has good reviews.
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0321543726/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

thank you to you all im sure u think u just answered the millionth answerd but i really apreciate all the advice and help
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

I'm sorry but, is this kid doing a really bad troll on you guys? Seriously? It sounds to me like he's asking to how start a career?

Step 1: Go to college.
Step 2: Graduate at the top of your class while gaining internship experience at a good company/institution/etc. AND Rank top 3 for the IDGF: student showcase with a revolutionary game.
Step 3: (Simpsons yakov smirnoff voice) Sony applies for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

View Postwizdumb, on 21 February 2013 - 11:51 PM, said:

I'm sorry but, is this kid doing a really bad troll on you guys? Seriously? It sounds to me like he's asking to how start a career?

Step 1: Go to college.
Step 2: Graduate at the top of your class while gaining internship experience at a good company/institution/etc. AND Rank top 3 for the IDGF: student showcase with a revolutionary game.
Step 3: (Simpsons yakov smirnoff voice) Sony applies for you.

lol thats funny no i wasnt asking that at all and disagree if you will but i dont think you have to go to colleage or graduate at the top of your class to be a good programmer.if you have a degree thats great but it really dosnt make you a better programmer than that of the nerdy kid who studies all the material at home,makes you qualified but not better
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

If you think a company like Sony is going to hire someone that "taught themselves" your absolutely out of your mind. And to lead a heavily invested development project!? I mean maybe if you do something remarkable on your own but... Not to sound rude but you need to get real. And I beg to differ on the degree, very much so. There's much to be learned outside of books... Every couple of months or so, leading industry professionals come in and do weekend workshops at my university, and I've learned far more from them than I ever have in a classroom lecture or textbook.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Okay, I think we need to get some things straight here. Large companies like Sony very rarely actively look for interns, they have vacancies open for them but give much more priority to seeking professionals.

When an intern comes on the scene they are a leech on resources because they require continual mentoring, so it's never wise to have more than one.

Yes, agreed about getting an education. Working in games as a programmer when you didn't have a degree, those days were long gone - actually since the 1990s. Why? Because the modern tools are quite complicated, and computer science principles need to be learned, there is no way around that.

Not bothering with an education and hoping to get into games as a programmer is becoming less and less as time goes by. As I always say take a look at the job listings, they always want a degree.

I can tell already, xanda, that you will not make it unless you do bother to get a degree. I asked you earlier in this thread to have a go at one of my challenges and you did nothing. I'm ex-Sony and I can guarantee you what they throw at you will be much more challenging than what I asked you to do.

You really do need to open your eyes.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

hey this is not a debate you guys im not disagreeing that if you want to become all pro sony and all that you will almost certainly need a digree am just saying that you can be just as good without one.forget my first post and what kind of dreamer i sound like to you isnt that one proven fact true?

let me clear it up for you dean and thanks for all your co-reponding and advising the reason y i may seem confused to you.i love programming i really do as we speak im refineing my skills with bjourne stroustup's book and some activities and excercises and like how im set up now gonna take a crack at that challenge but i dont just want to program its more like something i love to do but professionaly i think on average they if they manage to get a solid job are underpaid for the material they have to know. i likke more being in charge of stuff and heence why i said i would want to own a studio.

the reason why i braught u sony is because i recognize them as industry leaders and would like the oppertunity to learn from them or anyone affiliated with them and has the know how about programming.

all in all i think if you and i can do the same work but you have a paper saying you can its not a big deal to me if your all saying collage is the only way to learn how to become a heigh caliber programmer i disagree.Aagain im not trying to get hired by sony just yet im just trying to learn what they know
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

There are a lot of things that go into being a Game Programmer beyond programming. I think everyone here will agree college isn't the only, or even the best, way to learn how programming. College gives you the opportunity to explore a lot of math, physics, and CS related areas that are important. In a research university environment, there will be people with a lot of knowledge about important topics like AI, human-computer interaction, 3D graphics, etc. These topics could be covered in more depth than you may necessarily be able to get on your own. Especially as you move up in your course work, it will be harder to self-teach it; and having someone there to explain is a great help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 23 February 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

There are a lot of things that go into being a Game Programmer beyond programming. I think everyone here will agree college isn't the only, or even the best, way to learn how programming. College gives you the opportunity to explore a lot of math, physics, and CS related areas that are important. In a research university environment, there will be people with a lot of knowledge about important topics like AI, human-computer interaction, 3D graphics, etc. These topics could be covered in more depth than you may necessarily be able to get on your own. Especially as you move up in your course work, it will be harder to self-teach it; and having someone there to explain is a great help.

This is what i agree with 100% thats why i was hopeing to find these forums and the poeple here a grat resource as i think even if i was to go to colleage honestly in jamaica i dont think the universities here or in the area have the technical know how or expertice i was hopeing for.we dont have a lot of 3dprogrammers if any.so are you saying that university envirolment cannot be replicated by say the internet and a good forum and maybe some expert friends over the net?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +