7 Replies - 5151 Views - Last Post: 27 March 2013 - 05:42 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Android vs iOS (which is more beneficial to developers?)

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Which platform provides a better environment for developers? I have caught wind of the notion that iOS developers make more than android developers simply because iOS users are more willing to spend their money, or have more money to spend. With the increased opportunity for monetization of android apps this accusation seems a little bit unfair. What's your take on this?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Android vs iOS (which is more beneficial to developers?)

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Android vs iOS (which is more beneficial to developers?)

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

That argument makes sense for why iOS devs might make more money.

I could also argue the bar of entry to the iOS store is also higher. So that means you're not a guaranteed high earner, and instead have a higher chance of making no money at all. It also plays a role in helping inflate the earnings of those who make (no 20 same programs competing, now only a small handful of programs that have to compete)

I wouldn't call this an accusation, nor would I call it unfair. It's not an accusation that iOS users will spend more money or have more money... that's a statistical analysis, and it's true, they DO. Just because Lexus and MB make more money by selling their cars to rich people, doesn't make it unfair. It's because they sell luxury cars targeted rich people.

Now does this make iOS a "better environment for developers"? Well a closer analysis would have to be made. More accurate data brought to the table. DO iOS developers make more money on average? How much more money do they make? What is the ease and cost of development (cost of tools, time it takes to develop), and do those margins change the profit margins significantly at all?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

My Android application made me thousands more than my IOS port of the app, so the answer is: Whichever makes you more! Java is magnitudes easier than obj-c as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

Android :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 CTphpnwb  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostIcyCode, on 10 February 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

I have caught wind of the notion that iOS developers make more than android developers simply because iOS users are more willing to spend their money, or have more money to spend.

It's more than that. The big "selling point" of Android phones is that they're cheaper and "do the same things." This means that expectations are that everything about the platform (including your app) will be cheaper too. Then there's the fact that many (maybe most?) Android buyers aren't buying it for apps at all. They just want a phone, and the one the sales people push on them is Android. Conversely, if you go into a phone store looking to buy an iPhone it's more likely that you have a reason beyond just getting a phone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The king of Nynex
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

There are two main reasons why the company where I work prefer iOS to Android for our games (we still do both we just prefer iOS).

1) It's easier to get a hooky copy of a game in Android...when you have 100,000 downloads but 300,000 players on the database you begin to think 2/3 of people out there are nicking your game :P/>

2) There is less variety in iOS device specs, compared to all brands of Android everywhere, so less mucking about when it comes to porting (and Amazon Android builds are annoying! stupid game circle).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

Android is better than IOS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:42 AM

Android for making money is better.
1) You don't need to buy a mac, lincenses, and pay money every time you want to put an app online, that alone already saved you thousands of dollars in money(the mac costs, now if you already have a mac, you may scratch that argument)
2) you can make an android app about anything(seriously, anything, even unethical) and it will be online within 2 hours, on apple you have to wait days for the apple people to review your app and place it online or reject it.
3) in android I believe, you have more power in your hands when making a program, you can programmatically intercept phone calls and sms, and review logs and whatever... you can also remotely control the android and make it perform calls and sms... not sure apple supports that.

The problem with android is that not all countries are supported to have merchant accounts(my country is not supported) but I make a good 100 $ a month from my free ad supported app, and I am currently trying to make a deal with someone I know with a google play merchant account...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1