4 Replies - 567 Views - Last Post: 13 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New guy here. I want to learn lots of cool stuff

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hey guys,
I'm new around these parts and I hope I enjoy my stay. Been going by the name ryudo
all over the internet for years. Just a few minutes ago I cam to the conclusion my
old forum community was dead and didn't really care much for helping one another.
They just wanted to crack jokes and rip on one another. When trying to learn something
that is already going to be difficult, it is much easier to grasp the material by being
as kind and helpful as possible.

Enough with that stupid rant about a stupid place I came from. Let's get down to brass tacks.
I enjoy listening to most styles of music. My favorites being alt rock and electro/dubstep. (no skrillex!)
I am currently running a backtrack 5 R3 KDE installation, but I hope to be finding something
a bit more stable soon. I want to learn pretty much every language I can get my hands on.
I have already started learning a little bit of python and general shell scripting.

here's some examples of my very limited skill set:

#!/bin/bash
#06/15/2011
#ryudo

#Write a script that upon invocation shows the time and date, lists all 
#logged-in users, and gives the system uptime. 
#The script then saves this information to a logfile.
clear

#set up variables
showtime=$(date +%r)
showdate=$(date +%D)
showusr=$(who)
sysuptime=$(uptime)

#output variables to screen
echo The current time is $showtime
echo Today"'"s date is $showdate
echo Users currently logged "in":
echo $showusr
echo The current system uptime:
echo $sysuptime

#output variables to logfile
echo ========================================>>./loggy.fle
echo The current time is $showtime>>./loggy.fle
echo Today"'"s date is $showdate>>./loggy.fle
echo Users currently logged "in":>>./loggy.fle
echo $showusr>>./loggy.fle
echo The current system uptime:>>./loggy.fle
echo $sysuptime>>./loggy.fle
echo ========================================>>./loggy.fle
exit

#>>./loggy.fle

my python code is terrible. Pretty much still getting used to how it all works.

root@bt:~# python
Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Apr 16 2010, 13:09:56) 
[GCC 4.4.3] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> print 4*4+4*4+4-4
>>>

Been a skiddie far too long. Time for me to grow up and join the ranks of real coders.
I know it's gonna take some real hard work, but it will be sooo worth it.

If you want to know any more just ask. Not sure how active I will be.
It took me 6 years to get 1337 posts on my last forum community....
they were all douchebags though :(/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New guy here. I want to learn lots of cool stuff

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New guy here. I want to learn lots of cool stuff

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Welcome!

If you want to know any more just ask. Not sure how active I will be.
It took me 6 years to get 1337 posts on my last forum community....
they were all douchebags though :(/>

Well.. all sorts of questions abound on terms of this love/hate thing you have with your other forum. Though long term things are long term.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 February 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

Well.. all sorts of questions abound on terms of this love/hate thing you have with your other forum. Though long term things are long term.

Stockholm Syndrome maybe?
I joined 1337.com years ago in my teenage years looking for something cool and I found it. Back then it was a really cool place full of all sorts of types. Not everyone was into coding. Some people were gamers, other were music freaks, etc. It was a nice diverse population of about 100 active members or so.

As time went on the guys at the top began abusing their rep status and running off people they didn't like. Fast forward to about now: there are only ever about 6 active members online at any given time. Usually only one or two though.

Our rep system eventually got set up to where if you got enough negative reputation you would be automatically banned and would have to email the admin to even try coming back. needless to say, the guys at the top kept whittling the leftover userbase down to a tightly knit community. things calmed down again and then after a while they got bored and began just being downright hateful towards one another. When only the trolls are left they have nothing to eat but themselves.

I jumped ship at this point and found something a little more suitable to my tastes. I want to get into coding again. As soon as my financial aide comes through I'm getting into college so I can get a formal education and land a good paying job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

Welcome to DIC!

You know, we have loads of tutorials about many programming languages, and It was here where I came to love Java.

Save that, the community is quite nice as well, and I to like Electro music. (Mostly deadmau5 and other prog house people)

I hope your time here will be a pleasant one! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostCheribasa, on 13 February 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

Welcome to DIC!

You know, we have loads of tutorials about many programming languages, and It was here where I came to love Java.

Save that, the community is quite nice as well, and I to like Electro music. (Mostly deadmau5 and other prog house people)

I hope your time here will be a pleasant one! :)/>/>

Good to know you are into java. Once I get a good grasp on how python works I'm learning java. After that I was thinking C++ would be fun and interesting. Somewhere in between on that I need to get Ruby under my belt for when I finally get my hands on one of those raspberry pis I keep hearing about.

I did just come up with an interesting project that should keep me busy. I want to build a program that will interact with twitter and easily compile a list of data to output to the user. Pretty much a more efficient search engine to check old tweets. Maybe even something that could scrape my whole account and dump all my tweets into one text file or something.

So I guess the first step is to figure out how to get python to interact with web pages...or something like that...
Guess I need to get reading.

If anyone knows of any guides that would get me in the right direction, please let me know.
Thank you :)/>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1