What specs do I look for when upgrading RAM?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 1203 Views - Last Post: 15 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What specs do I look for when upgrading RAM?

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

My desktop is using the following specs. Do I have flexibility when upgrading memory here? Thanks in advance.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Zuelajindi: 13 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What specs do I look for when upgrading RAM?

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What specs do I look for when upgrading RAM?

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

If you have to ask, then the spec most important is the phone number to Best Buy. At the end of the entire experience it will be cheaper to have them upgrade it right the first time, than getting the wrong memory 3 times, return shipping and eating the cost of damaged hardware.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 13 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Can you list your motherboard? What do you mean by flexibility? Flexibility in RAM amount or speed?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

i think he want to ask if he could EXTEND his RAM SIZE or not. right now if your ram is 6 gb u can upgrde ur RAM if you had another DDR3 port in your cpu...

IF I GOT U WRONG...PLESE PUT UR DETAILED QUERY
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

CPU-Z does not give us any info about what types of ram you can use. Please give us the model number of your computers motherboard.

Look for a part number on the BIG circuit board. The part numbers are usually printed with white silk screen and are often found by the edge of the board or right next to the CPU socket.

*Tip, write down every part number that you find!

Once you have the part number goto google and search for the manual for each part number. When you find one that shows a manual for your motherboard Success! (the manual will have a picture or drawing that looks exactly like your motherboard)

Read though the manual to find the section about your ram. This section will give you detailed specifications as to what kind, type, amount, and speed of ram you can use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

View Posterik venn, on 14 February 2013 - 01:25 AM, said:

i think he want to ask if he could EXTEND his RAM SIZE or not. right now if your ram is 6 gb u can upgrde ur RAM if you had another DDR3 port in your cpu...

IF I GOT U WRONG...PLESE PUT UR DETAILED QUERY

This can't be stressed enough in today's world of cell phone messaging:
Don't use txt/sms/leet/T9 speak like: dnt no wut i m do-n, coz, al gud, b4, ny1, sum1, u r, and so on like this guy. Its completely disrespectful to the senior coding professionals that volunteer here to mentor you.

dis not b d'hood dawg... You are sitting at a real keyboard with a real monitor, not a cell phone. You are not here texting your high school posse to come to your kegger after their shift at Taco Bell. You are here asking for help from senior coding professionals who graciously donate their valuable time to helping the next generation of coders with their chosen craft. Please try to show them, yourself and the industry some respect by writing at least at an eighth grade level. (IE: English not ebonics or SMS, real words, punctuation and so on). If you can't take your own problem/question seriously enough to write like an adult, then why would you expect anyone else to take it seriously?

When you write a post you are presenting yourself. Your writing style is all you have to show others who you are and what you stand for. When I see posts filled with lack of capitalization, SMS text like 'Urself', lack of punctuation and so on; what I see is someone who just doesn't care to make even an eighth grade presentation of themselves. I also see that you feel we are not worth the effort. Posts that look like this show that you don't feel the person you are talking to is worth speaking to as an adult. If you show this level of contempt or apathy towards someone you are asking for help how can you expect to be taken seriously or expect to receive that expert's fullest attention and time to help you?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

The motherboard model I have is not supported as much as others. It is an ASUS P5QL-M EPU, on the CM5571 desktop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Then just google a company that has the tech info on the board!

Memory

Number of Memory Slots 4240pin

Memory Standard DDR2 1066(O.C.)/800/667

Maximum Memory Supported 16GB

Channel Supported Dual Channel

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131393

So yes, assuming you do not have 16gb of DDR2 ram in there already you can upgrade that far.. or tweak the brand and model so you can have different latency, cycles, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Zuelajindi: As modi said you can upgrade to 16 GB. I'm curious as to what you're using your PC for that requires more than 6 GB of RAM? Are you looking for better performance? Also, have you looked at the performance monitor in the task manager? Are you even coming close to using that 6 GB?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

I am not looking to upgrade the amount of memory, I have just diagnosed the probable reason for my machine Blue Screening while idling at times, at this just might be the culprit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

I am not looking to upgrade the amount of memory, I have just diagnosed the probable reason for my machine Blue Screening while idling at times, at this just might be the culprit.

That could be it. Have you ran memtest? Have you tried restoring your OS? You should try running through a laundry list of diagnostic tests to resolve BSODs before dishing out money on something that may not help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

A few things to consider (from personal experience) when dealing with BSOD, is to check if any windows updates were applied recently, and if you have changed any sort of component or driver that deals with your audio. Like I said, this is personal experience, you may have already done these exact steps, just thought I would throw it out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

MSI Consoles error logs, take a look into them. Windows tends to tell you more than you give it credit for. Why bother stabbing in the dark when you have error logs easily accessible for any critical or serious system error?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

This can't be stressed enough in today's world of cell phone messaging:
Don't use txt/sms/leet/T9 speak like: dnt no wut i m do-n, coz, al gud, b4, ny1, sum1, u r, and so on like this guy. Its completely disrespectful to the senior coding professionals that volunteer here to mentor you.

@tlhIn`toq
i really feel sorry for that.. i will keep that in mind for future.

@lemur
you think yourself an expert..really... but what you did was really cheap one.. shame on you..
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

View Posterik venn, on 18 February 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

@lemur
you think yourself an expert..really... but what you did was really cheap one.. shame on you..

What?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +