2 Replies - 730 Views - Last Post: 15 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Please Help /Advice - Emergency notification Website

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

I have been commissioned to build a site for a local town for emergency notifications.
I plan on using Drupal 7x for this project.

Scope of project:

In case of an emergency, the town wants the site to display a message notifying people of the
specific emergency (fire, flood, etc.)

They also people to log-in and input their address and info so they know where all the residents live.

During an emergency, they want a map to display where the emergency is and display in a different color.

They also want notifications to go out to all the residents in a specific area via Twitter, Facebook, Email,
Phone etc.

I do not have a lot of back-end experience, but it seems a lot of these items can be tackled with existing
tools. I have looked into a javascript library that can display map data http://raphaeljs.com/. I would like
to dip into the Google maps API for the map display portion, but I am not sure.

Any help, tips would be very much appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Please Help /Advice - Emergency notification Website

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Please Help /Advice - Emergency notification Website

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

So.... ??? "Please help me architect this big project that is way over my head and skill level" ???

Next time don't bid on projects that you aren't equipped to do. All this does is ruin your reputation and keep you from being taken seriously a couple years from now when you have learned more.

Do the honorable thing by the city: Tell them that you aren't able to take on this project at this time and they should put it back out for bid. This is the emergency notification system for Pete's sake. Peoples lives may depend on your code. Its not the type of project you cut your teeth on.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Please Help /Advice - Emergency notification Website

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

Agreed. Don't take anything that far over your head, it will never end well for you. If you don't have backend experience then make a few homebrew applications instead of bidding at a professional level.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1