3 Replies - 1768 Views - Last Post: 17 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How much training should I get?

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

Hello All,

I started a new job a week ago, this is my second development job and my umpteenth job overall. MY problem is this, I have had no training. At all. I have simply been left to it. I have been given a small list of task to do but that's about it.

My problem isn't writing the programs, its more in I have no clue how the software works, which database goes with which application etc. There are about 20-30 projects (It's .NET if that helps any) and about a half dozen databases.

A good example would be the first task on my list was "X doesn't work. Get it working". No "This is what it does.../This is what we would like it to do...." etc. When I ask the senior developer a question I get the specific answer for the question but no explanation as to why.

In any job I have had previously I have been given training, overview of the systems, processes etc. But these where all entry level positions and not development roles. And in my only development role I had to have training as it was a graduate position.

There are other things that don't make the job easier. Like there are no database schemas, no constraints enforced etc. But I am working my way around these problems. More through guess work and intuition than any actual skill.

This, rather long windedly, bring me back to my questions. Just how much training should I expect/get in a standard development job? Am I being unreasonable? Should I have the skill to just get on with it at this point in my career.

Final piece of information, my interview/coding test comprised of me proving I could join two tables and move objects from one list to another. THAT WAS IT!

Thanks for all the help and any advice you can give me.

Kevin

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How much training should I get?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: How much training should I get?

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

I would say, the longer you work for the company, the more you get to know the sytem, what it does etc so just read the existing code base bit by bit. Take a pen and paper and draw the stuff you read. Then, eventually everything should come together.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Just how much training should I expect/get in a standard development job? Am I being unreasonable? Should I have the skill to just get on with it at this point in my career.

I wouldn't really expect any. You're lucky if someone is not too busy or kind enough to show you around the code. Developers tend to teach themselves just about everything, and in most cases you will be given a codebase and told to learn it. They should give you a bit of time before they start expecting you to make significant changes, but the changes they have asked you to make may well be relatively simple. It is difficult to know without knowing the codebase.

If you are lucky enough to be in a agile development company where pair programming is the norm, then you'll pick up things much quicker. But that is quite rare.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Do note that any good company will have extensive documentation on their practice. If they don't they need to quickly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1