5 Replies - 2766 Views - Last Post: 18 February 2013 - 03:11 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

As a total novice should I leave Razor out of it?

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Ive been tasked at uni with building a complex web site that needs to access a database and perform code functions.
I have been directed to use Visual Studio to complete the task and can choose how I go about it.
From my initial explorations I have started the site in C sharp and I have had a quick look at both standard ASP and the Razor templates.
Ive made best headway with Razor but I am reading up on what I need to be doing to achieve my goals.

My question is this, should, as a method of learning correctly, I use the base ASP rather than complicating things with Razor?

Thanks for your time.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: As a total novice should I leave Razor out of it?

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: As a total novice should I leave Razor out of it?

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

They're both just templating languages. One is no more "correct" than the other. If your directions do not specify which to use you might want to check with your instructor to make sure they don't want you to use a specific one. If they don't care which you use then I'd suggest using the one that you are most comfortable with.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Well Razor goes hand in hand with a MVC layout and organization of code. I have to say that I am a bit old school and don't really care for MVC with ASP.NET but never the less I have been forced to work on projects which use it. It really is all a way of thinking and like Nakor said, whatever way is making more sense to you I would go with that... if the instructor has no preference.

I find it a bit early still to know how far MVC in ASP.NET (with Razor) is really going to go. I can't say if it is a fad or a tried and true technology. I know the MVC formula is sound and can be advantageous for certain projects, I am just not sure it fits all projects.

Go with what you are comfortable with. No way is better than the other in "general terms". :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

Cheers for the advice. The book I got is Apress ASP.net so might just stick with how that carries me along.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

My two cents: use MVC, and if you're going to use MVC, use Razor. MVC feels like what WebForms was kind of supposed to be, but never could be. Maybe it's just me (and maybe it's just because I'm a much better developer in general now than I was when I used WebForms), but I don't feel like I'm constantly fighting my browser when I use MVC. There are things that I've done on past sites that I don't know how to do in MVC, but I attribute that to my lack of knowledge rather than the platform's limitations.

I recommend this book if you're interested: Wrox Professional ASP.NET MVC 4.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

As Im at the beginning I want to make sure I put the right foot forward.
Thanks for the advice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1