1 Replies - 1074 Views - Last Post: 11 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

WAMP in Dev to Linux in Prod - any pitfalls?

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

Hi,

I am brand new to this forum and to internet development. I am a .NET developer who has always developed for intranet within the M.O.D, but I am just about to do my first commercial website.

The brief is a simple one and after researching I have decided to use wordpress. The one issue (or non-issue maybe depedning on the answers I get here?) is the differences between my dev and live environemnts.

I have a linux host (best for Wordpress as I understand) but a microsoft machine to develop on. I am going to install WAMP in order to run wordpress, but I was wondering if there are any issues / pitfalls to watch out for when transferring from a dev windows environment to a prod Linux environment. I rang my webhost but they could not answer.

Will I simply be able to FTP from my dev machine up to prod with no issues, or will the differences in environment catch me out?

Hope someone can answer!

thanks,

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: WAMP in Dev to Linux in Prod - any pitfalls?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: WAMP in Dev to Linux in Prod - any pitfalls?

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Well, a month later I hope you were able to figure this out on your own, for anyone that runs across this post in a search though, you will be generally fine to simply transfer your files over but there are a few things you will need to do to get the page functioning properly once on your web host.

Without specific instructions, but in general:

1. There are a couple of (2 last I messed with WP) records in the wordpress settings database table which will need to be updated to get all of your links working, both of these involve updating the record referencing your domain name http://localhost should be changed to http://yourdomain.com, and whatever format you find in these records kept intact.

2. If you are using Clean URLs (I think that's what WP calls them), you will need to access the administrator page directly via yourdomain.com/admin/ and disable this feature, then you can enable it again, and it should get all of your site's navigation links pointing to the proper pages again.

From there you should be set, the process is similar for either drupal or joomla (it's been awhile).

Pay attention while transferring your site as your ftp program may try to hide the .htaccess file from view which can cause some issues as well given it will need to be transferred with the rest of your site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1