13 Replies - 2458 Views - Last Post: 22 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Beginner in programming having trouble.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

I am sure you get a lot of these threads, but I would love some feedback from you guys. Ok, so I love programming. I honestly think its very fun because you can be so open minded and independent with what you want to do when you program. But the thing that worries me the most is, I'm a freshman in College trying to learn C++, and honestly, as much fun i think programming is, it is also very hard for me. My first semester I learned C, now (Second sem.) we are programming in C++, while studying from the book which is in Java.

I want to know, is programming really this hard for everyone? I am willing to work really hard, but that "Programming isn't for everyone" quote scares me :(. The trouble I have is learning complicated syntax. Is it like this for every newcomer to programming?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Beginner in programming having trouble.

#2 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Beginner in programming having trouble.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Syntax is just a matter of practice. The more frequently you use it, the sooner it becomes second nature.

Learning c++ from a Java book sounds a bit crazy. There is a lot of overlap but also some very important differences.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

I would doubt learning is the same for everyone.. and yes.. programming *is* hard, but once you get the hang of the theory and science of it all the syntax just becomes just a weekend chore. Why is it uniquely hard for you? I am not sure - I don't know who you are or what you are all about, but I do believe most everyone can, eventually, learn to program.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

If you want a clue to the other side of programming, try out "The Little Schemer" and see how that works for you. It's not necessarily that programming isn't for everyone, but rather that all the industrial and business languages have a lot of very irrelevant and repeated code elements everywhere. The closer you get to the core concept of programming, the more you really learn it. Syntax should never be the line in the sand.

Scheme is a language on the functional side of things, and is very very minimalist. The Little Schemer will give you a step by step of how everything is made. Think of it as a ground up method rather than worrying about psuedo-problems and cumbersome syntax rules. Do realize that with this freedom comes a lot of work as well, just some people more naturally flow towards this side of things.

The beauty of it is if you truly understand Scheme you can get a much better grasp on any other language. It's recommended for most senior programmers to give at least one LISP dialect a shot to broaden their horizons and have that zen moment thing.

Either way, it's $10-15 you won't regret spending if you really want to be better: http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0262560992
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostLemur, on 19 February 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

If you want a clue to the other side of programming, try out "The Little Schemer" and see how that works for you. It's not necessarily that programming isn't for everyone, but rather that all the industrial and business languages have a lot of very irrelevant and repeated code elements everywhere. The closer you get to the core concept of programming, the more you really learn it. Syntax should never be the line in the sand.

Scheme is a language on the functional side of things, and is very very minimalist. The Little Schemer will give you a step by step of how everything is made. Think of it as a ground up method rather than worrying about psuedo-problems and cumbersome syntax rules. Do realize that with this freedom comes a lot of work as well, just some people more naturally flow towards this side of things.

The beauty of it is if you truly understand Scheme you can get a much better grasp on any other language. It's recommended for most senior programmers to give at least one LISP dialect a shot to broaden their horizons and have that zen moment thing.

Either way, it's $10-15 you won't regret spending if you really want to be better: http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0262560992

Does that book help you learn Coding, or is it more "the reason behind the code" and how everything works? Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate them :)

View PostLemur, on 19 February 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

Does that book help you learn Coding, or is it more "the reason behind the code" and how everything works? Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate them :)

Sorry for the double post :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Both really.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

The Little Schemer is mostly about one or two important concepts in programming - basically, the subject is recursion. I love this book, and I think there's a lot to be learned from it, but I'm not sure I share Lemur's conviction that this is the book you need right now. I don't think you'll lose anything by it, but the most important thing you have to know about it is that when you're finished you'll know nothing that can be directly applied to making a program tomorrow. If you want to learn some great ideas, it's absolutely a great book, but if you want to make a working program that does something, you'll still be far from that when you finish with it.

I don't think this is a bad thing, but I'd hate to have you dive into this book and come away from it feeling let down, so I think it's important that you know this up front.
Again: I've raved about the Little Schemer to anyone who will listen for two years now, I think it's a fantastic book and absolutely you'll learn a lot from it - just maybe not right now.

Now, as to your immediate question: yes, programming is hard. I found it hard to learn, and I gave up a few times (granted, the first time I was in grade school, but still...) and eventually I got there. And you know what? I still find it hard on good days. That's part of the fun of it, really. It's hard work - it's fun, it's mind-altering in very good ways (it makes you think in ways you wouldn't otherwise think), and it's extremely satisfying to solve a new problem that gave you a good run for your money, but all of that comes with the fact that it's hard. Frankly, when it's easy, it's boring.

Of course it's hard, there's nothing worth doing that isn't hard work. Fortunately, you live in times when you have a lot of choices - there are lots of hard things that you can do, some of which you might find intersting, and you can also sit around and play video games and work in marketing and do nothing at all with your life, and all of those are okay. You can choose what you want to do. It's your life, you only get one of them, so choose something you'll like, and something you're willing to bust ass to be realy good at. Frankly, from your post I can't tell whether that includes programming or not for you.

Too much pontificating here, you deserve a conrete suggestions: I would suggest you talk to your teacher about the trouble you're having - often, a good teacher will find another way to communicate something that you're having trouble with, if you ask them the right questions. Any teacher who's even remotely worth bothering with will certainly give it a fair try, if you give them a chance.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

POPULAR

View Postnephtyhephty, on 19 February 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

I am sure you get a lot of these threads, but I would love some feedback from you guys.

As the self-designated blunt frank grown-up truth teller around here I'll tell you now that you won't like what I have to say, even if it what you need to hear. So if you aren't prepared for adult-to-adult conversation, don't open the spoiler below.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 20 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 20 February 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

View Postnephtyhephty, on 19 February 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

I am sure you get a lot of these threads, but I would love some feedback from you guys.

As the self-designated blunt frank grown-up truth teller around here I'll tell you now that you won't like what I have to say, even if it what you need to hear. So if you aren't prepared for adult-to-adult conversation, don't open the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Wow, your response really means a lot to me. And in a very positive way. Thats exactly what I did, I ordered a learn C++ in 24 hours book today, and right as I came home I studied for 4 hours straight. Not just to stare at a screen so I can "say" I studied, but because I want to learn programming, and I have tons of fun learning it. Even though I can't understand things as fast as others, I have to work harder, sure, but it's all worth it. Thank you for your response once again as it has inspired me. Much love <3
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

When you first enter programming for the first time, I would not spend too much time try to understand every little detail of the language, that expertise will come in time. Focus on the basic, and don't worry to much about the underlying mechanisms - that's why a standard exists. The beginning classes always seem that hardest, ironically, but once you build a foundation, everything else will come more naturally. Then once you start taking more advanced programming and hardware classes, the underlying mechanisms of the language will begin to make sense.

To be short and sweet, don't be too hard on yourself. Yes this shit is hard, but like a lot of other shit, it takes practice and time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

View Postjjl, on 20 February 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

When you first enter programming for the first time, I would not spend too much time try to understand every little detail of the language, that expertise will come in time. Focus on the basic, and don't worry to much about the underlying mechanisms - that's why a standard exists. The beginning classes always seem that hardest, ironically, but once you build a foundation, everything else will come more naturally. Then once you start taking more advanced programming and hardware classes, the underlying mechanisms of the language will begin to make sense.

To be short and sweet, don't be too hard on yourself. Yes this shit is hard, but like a lot of other shit, it takes practice and time.

Ok thanks. :) But the thing is I have a project due where I am to make a stack and queue using doubly linked list. What we do in class is learn how linked list works with all the arrows and what now. Such as this doubly linked list eg:
null ↹[ &[data] &] ↹ [ &[data] &] ↹ [ &[data] &]↹ null. But the hard party is coding it, which we don't learn much in class, and I can't really study until my C++ book arrives.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

:offtopic:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

What's wrong with googling for tutorial c++ doubly linked list?

There is an enormous amount of tutorials for things like that. At least some of them will be of high quality and will be able to help you translate the diagram to code.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

View Postnephtyhephty, on 19 February 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

I am sure you get a lot of these threads, but I would love some feedback from you guys. Ok, so I love programming. I honestly think its very fun because you can be so open minded and independent with what you want to do when you program. But the thing that worries me the most is, I'm a freshman in College trying to learn C++, and honestly, as much fun i think programming is, it is also very hard for me. My first semester I learned C, now (Second sem.) we are programming in C++, while studying from the book which is in Java.

I want to know, is programming really this hard for everyone? I am willing to work really hard, but that "Programming isn't for everyone" quote scares me :(/>. The trouble I have is learning complicated syntax. Is it like this for every newcomer to programming?

In truth at first i really struggled two but if you really enjoy it then i am sure that you would do fine. but the one thing you should remember is to think like a programmer AKA break all you problems down into smaller ones and keep doing that till there can't be broken down any more and if you do that then you should do fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1