1 Replies - 1035 Views - Last Post: 20 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Developing a web application for many users

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Hi there. I have a question about designing an application for a large number of users.

Let's say I have an application with many organizations. Does each organization get a separate instance of the application and a separate db? Or do all of them share the same application and db?

If the former, how do you go about achieving such instance segregations?

If the latter, won't the db cramp quickly? and do I need to include the organization Id often? Will that slow down the db? Will it make any difference if the user records are on top or at the bottom of the db?

Any input would be wonderful. Thank you in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Developing a web application for many users

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Developing a web application for many users

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

Does each organization get a separate instance of the application and a separate db? Or do all of them share the same application and db?

I don't know exactly what you mean by 'organization' (as in different companies or just different divisions in a company), but you can do either. Deploy the app to company A's server and install a DB there and the install it at company B and install a db there.. or have both come to one server and one db.

If the former, how do you go about achieving such instance segregations?

You would have a table for 'company' and then make 'company_id' a primary key on all the other tables in the db.

If the latter, won't the db cramp quickly?

In theory - no... but I have no idea what you are storing or what 'cramp' means precisely.

and do I need to include the organization Id often?

Yes, but not 'often' instead 'always'.

Will that slow down the db?

I have no idea what your data is doing or how you are calling it, but no. In theory it shouldn't.

Will it make any difference if the user records are on top or at the bottom of the db?

In a properly indexed table, no this shouldn't be a problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1