1 Replies - 1654 Views - Last Post: 25 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Server Config Version Control

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Hi everybody,
So I've got a large network with several servers that a group of us manage. Most of them are BSD systems with jails across them. Then we've got lots of side projects and what not to make things easier for us. But there is about eight of us and we make modifications to the configuration files on the servers a lot. We're in the process of trying to find a version control system we can use across the board. We would like a setup to be able to have a master server and then several subrepos for each other server. But a lot of these files require root access to modify. But when we sync the files back up we want it to show who created the changes and not just root. I've been fighting with Fossil but it's lacking a lot of documentation it seems like and anything complicated usually requires me to run SQLite3 code through it. It's just not an ideal setup. Anybody done anything like this? Have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Server Config Version Control

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Server Config Version Control

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Why don't you use something such as Puppet or Chef? If you configure these properly, then they will do what you want, and more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1