10 Replies - 1747 Views - Last Post: 06 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Computer Science? Is it too Narrow?

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

So a friend and I have been wondering lately if computer science is a career field that has a very narrow of opportunities being offered to a computer science major. (plus due to the fact that alot of jobs are going overseas as well)But if a person was to have a degree in business and something in IT then wouldn't that person be more apt to find a job pretty quickly after college? Say like an MIS degree, or a business degree, with a lot of IT background. I would say that computer science seems like all you are is stuck on selecting from a few job titles or positions, where as an MIS major may have a lot more opportunities, because of management, working with major networks, and stuff like that. Or if you had a Business degree and found that it was hard (in the area that you want to live) to find a job in the IT field then a business degree would come in very handy.

what would you guys say about this? Is there any truth in these statements? Or just an overall opinion. We really are interested in what people would have to say. Thanks for your advice!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer Science? Is it too Narrow?

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer Science? Is it too Narrow?

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

More majors could mean more fields those majors make available to you, because you have more majors. At the same time you can wear those majors thin though...

Think like D&D/RPG'n. You can multi-class and be good at multiple things, or you can single class and be AWESOME at a single thing.

How about you do what you enjoy doing? You do know that computer science is a different field from Business and IT. They're not directly comparable work wise. If you enjoy business and IT work, then go business and IT. If you like computer science work, go that route.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 21 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

At the end of the day, both majors have good job opportunities if you have a strong background. CS is a theory background, along with a good amount of programming. It sounds like you understand what a CIS/BIT degree entails. Pick what you enjoy and make yourself the best possible candidate for the career path you are interested in. That's what it comes down to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Well I guess the point of this question is that if something ever happened in the programming field or the Computer Science Jobs, or for what ever reason you can't find a programming job or an IT job. Would it be easier to find a job in another field with the amount of business work that you have in the MIS(Management of Information Systems). Plus from what I understand an MIS degree is much more technical, (which is what I like) and can have good salaries as well.(which is important to me). But I also like building website, because it allows me to be creative with what I can do. So I am mixed about what to do. But really the point of this question is if there was ever a decline in the IT or computer engineering/software jobs, could your management skills become of good use?

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 21 February 2013 - 07:01 PM
Reason for edit:: I was here.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Umm I have no idea how three posts were in one post, all I know is that when I pressed the reply button, the server said Please try again later, so I tried again and you guessed it the third time it post, but I have no idea why it posted 3 times, plus idk where I can edit my post to make it cleaner.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Well I guess the point of this question is that if something ever happened in the programming field or the Computer Science Jobs, or for what ever reason you can't find a programming job or an IT job. Would it be easier to find a job in another field with the amount of business work that you have in the MIS(Management of Information Systems).

Sure.. then double major.. heck triple. I knew a crazy smart girl that quad majored. There's always the roll of the dice if your intended degree doesn't work out, but ya know what? There's always jobs in other areas.

Plus from what I understand an MIS degree is much more technical, (which is what I like)

Technical? Pfffsst.. From my experience with the MIS folk in college, and confirmed after, MIS was business light and computers light. I always saw it as "you almost have enough to be dangerous but not quite".

[quote] and can have good salaries as well.(which is important to me)
Yes.. I like money too.

But really the point of this question is if there was ever a decline in the IT or computer engineering/software jobs, could your management skills become of good use?

Sure.. after working eight years as an web-coding-monkey I would imagine that half a business degree in MIS is totes relevant! Vise versa working eight years doing 'middle management' I would imagine your unused half a computer science degree will totes sway people you have mad years of experience in programming. ;)

Over all it sounds like you are more comfortable with the illusion of doing both business and comp sci on the cheap.. cool.. then do it. Actually it sounds like you really want to be talked into validating a business degree. What evs.. it's your road you need to walk. If you believe you are more 'safe' in career options with business then go for it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

The title is exactly what I am looking for, what are the pro's and con's of a degree in each of these fields. See the reason for asking this is I am a older student (non traditional). I am looking for something that I can get right out of college. I have two years left out of a 4 year degree. I have done alot in the computer science field. My strengths seem to be more technical. Plus I do have very good management skills. I love to create websites, but I feel like I need more experience in this, I love the design aspect of it too. But when I am looking for internships to gain more experience it seems that I get looked over because of my age. I've almost gotten to the point where I will just start my own company, so I don't have to deal with with these companies.

So thus I want to know what the pro's and con's are or each if you are willing to share. Plus is one more of an advantage to get a degree vs the other.

Plus I have to know that I will get a good opportunities and not get looked over because of my age (being older).

Any insights of the pros and cons would be appreciated, plus feel free to comment on any of the other additional details that I have listed as well.

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

You are missing part of your topic..

not to mention - isn't this a duplicate of: http://www.dreaminco...s-it-too-narrow ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Well I thought that this was different and I wanted to try and get more specifics, I wasn't trying to copy an old post, bc I felt like alot of the topics are different. I did not feel as though it was the same. Thats why I felt that it was need to post a new topic.

For instance trying to get an internship as older student, my skill sets,

Plus I don't think the other post really portrayed what the pro's and con's are to each. Or described what exactly are the pro's and con's. (sorry but I just tend to be very detailed oriented) So no I don't feel like the two post are the same. Thus in that post I was asking if Computer Science in a narrow field.

In this one I am trying to get a side by side comparison of the two (at least mentally). Especially what I am looking for is what are the career avenues that I could take as well, ie the Pro's and Con's of those as well. I guess I didn't elaborate on that until now. I am kinda of a numbers guy and I like to know the trends of each field as well and what the future outlooks are on each career. Is there expected to be an incline or decline in that field, like for instance I know that programming fields are on the decline, where as software engineering is on the incline. Just stuff like that. I am not really looking for general answers here, but more concrete if that makes sense.

Oh I c what you are sayin now, it should be Pro's And Con's Of MIS Degree Vs Pro's And Con's Of A Computer Science Degree, the textbox showed this and I thought that it would be printed. Sorry for the confusion, But yes I am looking for a side by side comparison (at least mentally or be able to portray one).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:56 AM