7 Replies - 524 Views - Last Post: 21 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Recovering after CSS reset

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hey all,

CSS has long been my weak point in my web design arsenal and now that I'm trying to do a learning project I thought I should neaten up my styles.

I got the CSS reset and I wanted to cry when I saw my webpage.

Being inexperienced in CSS I don't even know where to begin.

Does anyone know of a good guide or tutorial or whatever for recovering from this?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Recovering after CSS reset

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Recovering after CSS reset

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

A css reset is not intended to be applied to an already existing site: I'm not surprised at the mess it creates :surrender:. A css-reset should be applied before you begin a new website.

FWIW (and just my opinion) but I don't think using css-reset will help you learn about css.

I would start from scratch and run through tutorials such as:
HTML Dog
tizag or
tutorialspoint

HTML and CSS Design and build Websites, Jon Duckett is a very good book.

Once you have a good understanding of CSS then by all means you might decide to start with a css-reset.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

BTW In my opinion css-reset is either a company-decision to always use, or it is for people who are determined that their site should look exactly the same in every browser. This is a forlorn hope in my opinion and (IMO) anyone working with HTML and CSS should just accept that there will be some differences between browsers; then they can concentrate on making the sites work in the different browsers (albeit with a slightly different look or behaviour).

Don't get me wrong: there is nothing wrong with using css-reset, and many people do, but it should be used across the entire site. Andy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

:)

I'm glad to hear you say that because I was not looking forward to fixing all the crap that the reset messes up.

Fortunately I do have a base of knowledge for CSS. It's mainly getting my knowledge of proper use and more advanced techniques that needs work.

I'm will look up the stuff that you listed above and I also have a list of guides, videos, and tutorials that I'm going to be watching.

I wanted to get my CSS down better before I started to really dig into Javascript/jQuery.

But yeah, I was watching a tutorial (one that I'm no longer watching) and it seemed to make it sound like a css reset was almost standard practice. So I'm glad to hear you say that it's not and I think I'm going to forgo using it.

Thought I may check out normalize.css which looks interesting.

Now, to end this post, perhaps you can help me with a small issue I'm having.

My CSS sheet was extrememly unorganized and confusing. So I decided to make a new sheet and transfer all the rules over into it in an organized fashion.

I'm much happier with it now but now my background picture wont show up. I didn't change anything in it, just moved it to another sheet. It's included in the head in the proper order, all the other rules in the sheet work fine.

body {
		background-image: url('../images/background1.jpg') 'top      center' no-repeat fixed;
		font: normal 14px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;		
}

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

You shouldn't have those apostrophes between top and center, or all the spaces. However, I would still expect it to find the background. Is the background in an images folder which is one folder-up from where the css file is found? Have you uploaded the image and cleared your cash? I meant cache he, he.

Otherwise, there might be another body-rule elsewhere that is over-ruling this one.

See the link in my signature to validate CSS - you can copy and paste your css directly at that site.

When creating a stylesheet I tend to keep it in more or less the same order as the page elements as they appear in the page (html, body, header tags..).

I also tend to use rules in more or less this order:

tag {
    browser-specific rules
    position, float and display
    left right top bottom
    background and font
    margins padding borders
    z-index
    anything else
}

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 21 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

It says that the background-image in incorrect.

So I removed all the other stuff and it works with just the url but if I put anything after it like no-repeat or anything it disappears.

EDIT: And yes, the image is in an images folder one level back. It was working perfectly before so I'm not thinking it can be a path issue.

This post has been edited by Darkranger85: 21 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

You are using the background-image property, not the background shorthand property, so only the url is correct.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

ooooohhhhh. . .

That would make sense wouldn't it lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -