1 Replies - 1127 Views - Last Post: 11 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

what information should/ do websites record for security reasons?

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

for example, lets say i upload a picture on tinypic, what kind of information do you think they store? Like IPs, prox IPs...
what else

the reason im asking is because im working on a very big website, and it is currently very vulnerable. right now im working on security and im trying to put in log's for everything users do. i want to know what i should record.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: what information should/ do websites record for security reasons?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: what information should/ do websites record for security reasons?

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

A little late, but coming through in the case this part of your project got moved to the back burner and your question is still up in the air..

For the most part I would say you only need to track the IP, time/date, the action, and any associated IDs that went with the request or submission, userID, postID, etc. given the user was logged in and/or submitted specific data at that specific time.

For other purposes such as visitor tracking, you have some other options also, however google analytics is an awesome service for tracking most of this and an excellent UI for making sense of it as well.

As far as tinyPic, likely just your IP and what you uploaded. Their only purpose for this that I could come up with would be stat tracking or for banning you from the site if things went awry for whatever reason.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1