8 Replies - 3029 Views - Last Post: 24 February 2013 - 07:25 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Why when idle, controls stop working?

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

I am using Web Forms and Entity Framework and have noticed if my page is left open, after a short bit, the controls fail to respond as they normally do. I can refresh and all is fine, but this is weird behavior - I leave this forum up all day long and all the controls respond just fine. What do I need to check to fix this? What details do you need from me to hunt down this problem? Thanks

Edit: my hunch is this is an IIS problem, maybe recycling. If I am to look into this further like IIS7 Manager where will I look?

This post has been edited by _HAWK_: 22 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why when idle, controls stop working?

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why when idle, controls stop working?

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

What exactly do you mean by "fail to respond as they normally do"? About how long is a short bit? Is it all controls in the user control that aren't working or just certain ones? Do any of the controls depend on Session values?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

All controls stop working, links, buttons. Refresh and all works again. I have been trying to increase the Session State and think that maybe it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

In the Session State on IIS it is set to InProcess, and UseCookies timeout=20. i tried URI mode and I can't figure out how to use that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

To clarify, the links are fine. The controls however are the ones not working. I have a GridView that is bound to an EntityDataSource and it also has some custom columns where I do math with the values form the rows and displayed in the custom column controls. All this sits inside an UpdatePanel. I can be changing the textbox value -> update button for a few times with all calculations working fine and then it just stops and this in less than 2 minutes from page load. I have the UpdatePanel UpdateMode to conditional and call Update() in the controls that need to update the GridView. Why would it stop working like this? ViewState? Thanks...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

I haven't come across any problems like the one you're describing before. If it stops working after just 2 minutes I wouldn't think it would be a problem with the Session timing out or with ViewState. Are you able to check the web server's event logs to see if there's anything in there that might tell you what's going on? Is this happening on your development pc? Can you step through it with the debugger and try to see what's going on that way?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

I am not sure about the event logs. I will contact the hosting company. Are the controls in the Update Panel supposed to be set with EnableViewState = True?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

EnableViewState = True seems to have it. ViewStateMode was inherit, but it's parent must not have had this enabled. Little things...I still learning man!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

yeah, the EnableViewState property is true by default but, as you say, the controls will inherit the value set in a parent control for that property.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1