third largest number 2d arrays

• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 1505 Views - Last Post: 26 February 2013 - 07:17 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: third largest number 2d arrays

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

View Posthelloworld1234, on 25 February 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

???

View Posttrollolololol, on 25 February 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

think you need to take your own advice, mr. troll=). you're basically trying to do the same thing i am.

how is asking for help on a program plagiarizing anyway? never asked anyone to write it for me. i actually wrote it myself. besides, the majority of this post consisted of a lecture from a dude about me how i've failed as a student.

???

View Posttrollolololol, on 25 February 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

lol and don't act like you've actually read it, cause then you would know this ain't plagiarism.

how is asking for help on a program plagiarizing ? never asked anyone to write it for me.
i asked pretty specific questions: 1) how many rows should the array have, since it's unclear to me from the question. 2) and how should i call it in the main function, using secondmax(___,___,___). NONE of which had anything to do with asking anyone to write it for me
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Say we wanted to know the third best apple in a bushel basket. So every time we picked up an apple to examine, if it was better than the current best apple, we would:

move the current second best apple, down to third best apple
move the current best apple down to second best apple
move the new best apple into the best apple rank

Step, step, step, always downward in ranking, always starting with second best, then first best, then putting new best into it's new position.

If you take these steps in another order, the ranking will be incorrect as our digital apples get "overwritten" by other apples.

You can see how it works personally by using a half-dozen pennies. Get pennies with a different level of shine on them, and put them on a table top. Now go through them and pick out which one is shiniest, which one is second to the shiniest, and which one is the third from the shiniest.

You'll see the above pattern, every time you do the exercise with the pennies.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

View PostAdak, on 25 February 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

Say we wanted to know the third best apple in a bushel basket. So every time we picked up an apple to examine, if it was better than the current best apple, we would:

move the current second best apple, down to third best apple
move the current best apple down to second best apple
move the new best apple into the best apple rank

Step, step, step, always downward in ranking, always starting with second best, then first best, then putting new best into it's new position.

If you take these steps in another order, the ranking will be incorrect as our digital apples get "overwritten" by other apples.

You can see how it works personally by using a half-dozen pennies. Get pennies with a different level of shine on them, and put them on a table top. Now go through them and pick out which one is shiniest, which one is second to the shiniest, and which one is the third from the shiniest.

You'll see the above pattern, every time you do the exercise with the pennies.

yeah i did something like that and submitted the assignment. i won't put up the code here cause it's just embarrassing since i know it's probably not the best way to do. but it got the job done, so..yup..

thanks again for your help
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

lol and don't act like you've actually read it, cause then you would know this ain't plagiarism.

Not plagiarism, but don't you think asking for help on the Internet satisfies this under the Cheating section?

Unauthorized collaborating on a take home assignment or examination.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

Look at the definition of collaboration:
Noun

1. The action of working with someone to produce or create something.
2. Something produced or created in this way.

No one worked with helloworld to create or produce his program. We shared a few posts about the algorithm.

If you carry this collaboration concept to extremes, you can say his Mom is a collaborator, because she gave him a sandwich, and clearly having nourishment was essential to helloworld's creation of the program.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

Not plagiarism, but don't you think asking for help on the Internet satisfies this under the Cheating section?

Unauthorized collaborating on a take home assignment or examination.

Who said it was unauthorized? Most professors, when giving an exam, explicitly state NOT to collaborate and keep your eyes on your own people.

Homework assignments are not meant to test you the way exams are. They're there to challenge you , as well as give you practice. No professor ever says you may not collaborate with anyone at any time. They say don't COPY off of each other, but they never say you may not work together.It is understood/assumed that students are likely to collaborate and talk to one another for the assignments.

But thank you for going out of your way to read a document and support an obvious troll instead of actually contributing to the original question, which is what i thought was the point of this website: to help people with coding

This post has been edited by helloworld1234: 26 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +