3 Replies - 708 Views - Last Post: 24 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Targeted advertising

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

I have developed a website that stores user preference data in a database. I need to use this data in order to target advertising. For example a user who states that they play football, i want to target them with football ads and not rugby ads. I do not want to use google ad sense or another ad server for this since it is a personal project. I will create the ads myself.

I am asking for suggestions about how to go about this. I am not asking for code but more advice on the architecture of such a system and how to go about it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Targeted advertising

#2 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Targeted advertising

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Well, you need to be able to generate some kind of identifier for the user, have the user carry it around with them and when they make interactions (either positive or negative) you would record the action for the given identifier.

Then when they visit a page you want to display ads on, their machine gives you the identifier, you look it in your database of users and cross that with ads you have tagged for various likes.

So for instance I interact with a page that says I like football. Later when I visit another page my browser would give you my id. You take that, look up my "account" and find that I like "football". You would then cross that with ads you have that are tagged with "football". Then serve that ad to me.

At least that would be my first attempt at the system. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the reply Martyr 2. This system makes a lot of sense
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 23 February 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

Then when they visit a page you want to display ads on, their machine gives you the identifier, you look it in your database of users and cross that with ads you have tagged for various likes.

How would you go about doing this cross match?

View PostMartyr2, on 23 February 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

How would you go about doing this cross match?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1