1 Replies - 2626 Views - Last Post: 24 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to learn 3D graphics?

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hi, i've been doing XNA game development for a while, mostly 2D stuff. I have been wondering about how best to approach 3D graphics. I want to be able to do things like in this video:
https://www.youtube....h?v=j5gb2XfjW0.
It all seems very complicated; there is tons of jargon and mathematical concepts I need to get my head around. So I was wondering:
What is the best way of learning how to do 3D graphics?
Should I continue using XNA or use C++ with DirectX?
Any books/ learning materials that are good?
How long would it take me to learn the basics?
Thank you for your time! :bigsmile:/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to learn 3D graphics?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How to learn 3D graphics?

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

Well - what you need to study is linear algebra. It is an area of mathematics concerning vector spaces. It is basically an expansion upon the mathematical operators and functions defined for various number systems to deal with multi-dimensional version of those systems. To that end, one introduces vectors and matrices (plural of matrix).
Back when I attended university (20+ years ago), it was a one-semester (6 months) study in the very beginning; ie. it built on pretty much just on high-school corriculum. We used a book by Fraleigh and Bauregard (Addison Wesley published), but since that book probably isn't printed anymore, you will have to locate your own material or wait for more responses.

The study will cover alot of areas, that you may not need/be interested in, and you can probably find more condensed materials concerning only linear algebra in cartesian 3D-space.

Tom
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1