6 Replies - 312 Views - Last Post: 24 February 2013 - 08:43 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advanced First Person Shooter tutorial help?

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

I need some help. I've got some good ideas for a first person shooter style game or something along those lines. However, I am having some issues with finding a good tutorial online that would help me learn new languages if required (which i'm willing to do) and also make an advanced and playable game whilst implementing a storyline (not required). Also i would like to make this game so that it can be played on generally older computers so you don't have to buy a $1000 gaming computer to play it. Could anyone redirect me to any tutorial(s)?

Thanks in advanced (hopefully),
@silentaero(Jake)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advanced First Person Shooter tutorial help?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advanced First Person Shooter tutorial help?

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

What language(s) do you already know? Why not just start with those? If you don't know any languages, you should start learning a language, because this type of game isn't feasible in the near future.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

I currently know HTML/CSS, a lot of AS2 but not enough to make this type of game, and a tiny bit of java (i found an excellent java fps tutorial still in the making but my computer isn't good enough to run the game itself). However i am willing to learn new languages (i prefer learning them as i make the thing i wanted to learn how to make).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

AS2 is a dead technology, really. Learning Java "as you go," if all you know is a tiny bit, probably won't be enough to help you make this game. The Java GUI isn't easy to learn if you don't have a solid background in the language. There is no tutorial or substitute that will get you from minimal knowledge to an advanced game in a short period of time. You have to be willing to take the time to learn the language properly, or you will have a hard time writing anything of any real complexity (ie., your game) when the time comes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

so... i guess you're saying that i should just start completely learning java and then attmept to make a game when i learn it completely? okay. but i was kind of hoping to learn something other than java (I.E. C++, C#, etc.) to make the game as i previously stated that a 3d java game will not run on this computer for some reason (even minecraft BSODs it). also i am willing to take the time to learn stuff, its just i learn the best through making something i want as i learn it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

So learn C++ or C# then. If you go the C# route, look into XNA. I want to emphasize that you should work on completely learning the basics of the language you are working in. If you don't, it will come back to bite you later.

also i am willing to take the time to learn stuff, its just i learn the best through making something i want as i learn it.

A lot of people get into programming to make big games, then get fizzled out when they jump into it without bothering to learn the language. Programming is hard, and you really shouldn't underestimate the time and effort it will take to learn it. If you don't know the language and have never worked with 3D graphics, jumping into 3D graphics programming with that language isn't a good idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

View Postsilentaero, on 24 February 2013 - 02:41 AM, said:

so... i guess you're saying that i should just start completely learning java and then attmept to make a game when i learn it completely? okay. but i was kind of hoping to learn something other than java (I.E. C++, C#, etc.) to make the game as i previously stated that a 3d java game will not run on this computer for some reason (even minecraft BSODs it). also i am willing to take the time to learn stuff, its just i learn the best through making something i want as i learn it.

Just calm down and listen to what has already been said. What you are looking for does not exist, in terms of finding a tutorial to let you write an FPS. FPS games are among the toughest games to create because of a number of reasons mostly based around physics and graphics.

It's not going to happen for you anytime soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1