2 Replies - 4731 Views - Last Post: 27 June 2013 - 03:09 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help understanding/calculating bandwidth (I'm streaming video).

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

Hello,

Okay, so I made a website for a friend, got him all up on running on a web host I've been using for years.

I was wondering if you could help me to understand a little more about bandwidth and it's use so I can have a bit of a clearer idea of what he needs?

The idea is that he'll post one new video every month for 12 months.
Each video will be hosted in 3 different formats to ensure all browsers are able to show it (first checks MP4, if it can't do that it checks WebM, if it can't do that, it falls back on FLV).
So at the end of the year that will be 12 different videos (36 video files in total).

I'm assuming he will be able to compress each video down to no more than 50GB.

I honestly have no idea how many hits he's going to get per month, it's impossible to predict his success. But I'd like to work out figures for several different possibilities.
Let's say getting 1,000 hits, 5,000 hits, 10,000 hits and 100,000 hits per month.

How do I work out what bandwidth he'll need?

Hope you can help.

Thanks,
Josh.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help understanding/calculating bandwidth (I'm streaming video).

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Help understanding/calculating bandwidth (I'm streaming video).

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Damn, just missed the edit deadline.

As I currently understand it I'd need do something like this to calculate it:

[Number of people watching the videos per month] x [Total size of all videos] = Total data transferred by people watching the videos per month.

For example.

5000 people
100MB (2 videos)

5000 x 100 = 500,000MB (something short of 500GB).

Thanks,
Josh
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Help understanding/calculating bandwidth (I'm streaming video).

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:09 AM

I don't think the traffic data usage would bother you as web hosting companies nowadays are facing neck to neck competitions to provide the best services, a lot of them actually offers unlimited storage and traffic usage. the thing that you have to watch for is whether the host you chose has enough bandwith capacity to provide smooth concurrent video streaming with multiple viewers at the same time. No viewers will be happy to experience a lot of slow buffering process while viewing. good luck with the site tho :punk:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1