6 Replies - 1130 Views - Last Post: 03 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need ideas to look into as I create my program

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hello DIC,

I am starting to create my first actual program. I say actual because all I have programmed up til now are console programs. I am reading and learning as I go and have just started really working on this idea. Anyway, I was wondering if you guys could give me a few subjects or thoughts to think about and explore.

I was having a problem earlier, but I figured it out for myself. I have been using VS 2010 and VS 2012 for my coding that I have been doing in classes. My college uses Microsoft Dream Spark for our programs, which allows students to download and install Microsoft programs for use in our labs/classes/course...pretty much everything dealing with college training. However, according to the licensing agreement I can not use Dream Spark licensed programs for commercial use.

I was trying to find another IDE after I read that in the EULA, and after looking at how much a commercial Visual Studios 2012 Ultimate license runs (about $13,300)lol. Anyway, I started looking into java last night as well using NetBeans. I read on one of the sticky forums that NetBeans allows you to program using C/C++ as well as java, but I do not see the option when I select New Project. Do I need to download a plugin for this to work?

Also, since NetBeans is a open-source IDE I can write my program using NetBeans and distribute said program correct? It doesn't matter if I decide to make the program open source or not right? I am sure I will because it will be my first real program. Also, I was wondering if there was a open-source IDE for programming iPhone apps. I know that iPhone/iPad apps use objective-C programming language.

I am also just starting to mess with the GUI side of programming, I feel pretty confident about the logic side of programming and at this point I am completely lost when it comes to the GUI. Any advice for this beginning developer would be great!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need ideas to look into as I create my program

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need ideas to look into as I create my program

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Get VS 2012 express. It's a free download. If you decide that your code is going to go commercial and you are outgrowing Express, you can then buy one of the others.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

As I said,I am wanting to create a program. At first I wanted to make it a iPad app because my Father gave me the idea, and the program I am making is a tool. However, I didn't realize that you need a Mac to program for iPad/iPhone. So now I am trying to decide what language to write this program in. I have taken classes in C++, and I just started messing with java.

I was wondering about C#, what is the biggest difference between C# and C++? I need to brush up on my C++, but need to get another language under my belt as well. I have a year left before I graduate from college, and I want to do everything that I can to insure that I get a job in my field very shortly after I graduate.

What would be the deciding factor in this choice between making the program in either java, C++, or C#. I feel like these languages are all the same, the syntax is just different. I mean, I know that they are different, just not by enough for me to tell a difference as of yet.

View PostBobRodes, on 24 February 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Get VS 2012 express. It's a free download. If you decide that your code is going to go commercial and you are outgrowing Express, you can then buy one of the others.

Yea, I just went with VS 2012 Express. So how would I know when I am outgrowing express? I know I won't be a long time I was just curious.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

I just wanted to say that I posted this in another topic but I never got a reply. I just need some advice. I'll give you a little more detail:

This program I am trying to start writing is a idea given to me by my Father. He recently started a new hobby and he gave me the idea of writing a program for it because 1.) There really isn't app/program out for this hobby. 2.) It can be made pretty simple because all the program is really doing is storing data from the user and presenting them in graphs and charts. I will probably add a small guide section for a beginner as well.

At first I wanted to make it a iPad app because the user would be able to input the data in the field instead of having to come back to their desktop to enter the data. However, I didn't realize that you need a Mac to program for iPad/iPhone. So now I am trying to decide what language to write this program in. I have taken classes in C++, and I just started messing with java.

I was wondering about C#, what is the biggest difference between C# and C++? I need to brush up on my C++, but need to get another language under my belt as well. I have a year left before I graduate from college, and I want to do everything that I can to insure that I get a job in my field very shortly after I graduate.

What would be the deciding factor in this choice between making the program in either java, C++, or C#. I feel like these languages are all the same, the syntax is just different. I mean, I know that they are different, just not by enough for me to tell a difference as of yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

I'll just merge these for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

However, I didn't realize that you need a Mac to program for iPad/iPhone.

This should not be a stumbling block, but if you want to go mobile, Java's a good bet, since you can write to the Android. If you really want to target the mePhone, then I'm pretty sure you can arrange that, but it's probably easier to start with the basics.

That consideration aside, it's hard to say what language you "should" write in, because they're all capable of doing lots of interesting things - and there are even more languages you don't seem to have considered, like python or scala or ruby. It's probably best to work in a language you're familiar with, so C++ or Java. Don't spend time worrying about this, just pick the one you're feeling the most fluent in and build a prototype. It'll be quicker to build something that sucks, scrap it, and start over than to not get around to building something perfect.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 26 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

As you say, java and C# are pretty similar. (C++ is a little lower-level, for example it's a lot easier to create a memory leak in C++.) Since they're that similar, what you learn in one is pretty easy to apply to the other. The main difference is in becoming familiar with the vast array of object libraries that they use. The practical answer to your question is learn first whichever one they are using on your first job. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1