1 Replies - 693 Views - Last Post: 26 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Introductions should come first.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Just wanted to say hello to the community, and provide some background information about myself.

I am currently a senior pursuing an BSCSE at a state university in the USA. I am a non-traditional student, and have been programming since the days of the Commodore 64 using BASIC. (I was about 6 years old). I have been programming in C and VB6 since the 90's, and now that I'm attending University, there's lots of JAVA, .NET, and things of that nature. I've dabbled with some ASM programming, Arduino, basically anything you're likely to encounter in a CSE cirriculum.

The main reason I've joined dream.in.code is because I feel that despite my extensive programming background, I've hit a huge brick wall. I can make 'pretty' windows applications, with file storage and retrieval, but basically I feel like the only thing I can write is 'mock-up' business applications, such as programming an application that generates sales invoices for a business. Or solves physics formulas, that sort of thing. Basically, I feel like I can only write the same kind of extremely basic programs that I did when I started programming. I feel like there is absolutely no progression, no growth. I am so frustrated!

I have several ideas in mind of things I would like to develop.

One thing I would like to do, is capture an audio signal in realtime, and perform various FFT functions in real time on that signal. Essentially, re-invent the wheel and write something like the visualizations in Windows Media Player or similar. And believe me, I have googled. I can't even figure out how to work with the sound buffer of my sound card, in ANY language, even though there seems to be no lack of documentation.

Have any of you more seasoned programming vets ever hit a serious brickwall like this? I want to progress, but half the time I don't even know "what I don't know". Where/how should I concentrate my efforts?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Introductions should come first.

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Introductions should come first.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hello gr0nt

Welcome to DIC :)

I see that you have quite a lot of experience in programming, considering the fact that you have been programming since you were 6 years old!! Well, at 6 I could hardly count so what you did is a great achievement indeed!!!

Glad to see that you have joined DIC to widen your perspective of programming and the members at DIC will be more than willing to help you out in your objective.

Those are some great ideas that you have and I wish I could help, but unfortunately I am not so experienced a programmer.Maybe you may find help from the more seasoned programmers at DIC.

regards,
Raghav
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1