• +
  • Last »

53 Replies - 4024 Views - Last Post: 08 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

US: Copyright Alert System kicks in..

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

In the last week the "'Copyright Alert System" kicked into effect. The gist is "the industry" will monitor peer to peer services and notify your ISP if they catch you. Your ISP will then email/call you... you know.. to "educate" you. If you are caught six times they throttle down your bandwidth for forty-eight hours. Though, of course, this begs the question if this is just all for case building on "the industry's" behalf.

This sort of presents an interesting question - who is actively using an encrypted VPN? Is this something that may just be standard like having an anti-virus installed?

Here's an example of VPN services from lifehacker.

Interestingly down in the comments of that lifehacker someone suggested getting an EC2 microinstance from Amazon.. install 'openvpn.net', and only running it when you need to. Heck... the amazon pricing for a micro 'on demand' instance is $0.02/hr.

https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/
https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/

That might be an interesting sub option.

Any thoughts on how this will shake down, or is how long the 'Copyright Alert System' will last?

Spoiler

edit..
IMPORTANT:

First things first: the Copyright Alert System is not a government program. Your ISP won't even give up your personal information to the content partners unless it's required by law through a subpoena or court order. The most annoying thing that'll happen if you get caught is that your bandwidth might be throttled.

The Copyright Alert System only monitors peer-to-peer traffic from public BitTorrent trackers. That means they're not looking at private BitTorrent trackers, email attachments, file lockers, or anywhere else. Basically, if you're not using BitTorrent you have nothing to worry about.
cite 2

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 28 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: US: Copyright Alert System kicks in..

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: US: Copyright Alert System kicks in..

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Stop doing illegal shit, modi. Then you don't have to worry about these things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

I don't like people touching stuff.. including my data bits.
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 February 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

I don't like people touching stuff.. including my data bits.

That's not what you said to gabehabe last night. I should know. I illegally downloaded the video.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

This type of thing existed for years. But it was privatized. I believe that the fact the government agencies are stepping in to monitor usage is new.

A roms trading group I belonged to (years ago) had one of our members busted. He was trading PS2 games (in 2002 this was relevant). One of our group rules were dead-systems only. He was trading in many many other rooms, including posting PS2 iso files to newsgroups. He was busted by sony's copyright protection whatever, & they alerted Road Runner, whom did whatever & he was arrested & jailed for two years.

Again, from my experience this is nothing new, just who's eyes are watching the traffic is new, & the peer to peer network sharing is a different transfer than irc/dcc/binary newsgroups.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

That is the first I've heard of being jailed for roms and console ISO files.

And I really couldn't agree with modi about people touching my stuff. Its my stuff and I don't want them touching anything I do.

But I haven't torrented since my freshmen year when I got around 9 copyright letters... I don't do that anymore.

But speaking of vpns has anyone tried BTGuard? I hear they are really good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Comcast has been allowing this for years now already. I didn't know this was new stuff...

Also most of my peer to peer activity isn't illegal, yet I've been flagged by "the industry" and contacted by my ISP for downloads that were far from illegal (I was torrent sharing ubuntu for too many days once, got flagged for that).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostTicon, on 27 February 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

Its my stuff and I don't want them touching anything I do.

The companies that are getting ripped off, it is their stuff too & they don't want people torrenting it for free.

It goes both ways.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostTicon, on 27 February 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

But speaking of vpns has anyone tried BTGuard? I hear they are really good.

I hadn't until you mentioned them, but I went and looked them up, in case they had anything to do with the company, BT, which is a bloody awful company. (The only place I've worked on a technical helpdesk where I got into trouble for helping get a customer's internet working... Go figure).

Anyways, back to BTGuard... I Googled them, and McAfee took a hissy fit. It seems that the BTGuard website either has something against McAfee (or vice versa), or it is loaded with spyware, malware, or some other associated crap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 27 February 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

The companies that are getting ripped off, it is their stuff too & they don't want people torrenting it for free.

It goes both ways.

Yeah and I don't want people stealing my stuff and then selling it out of their back door.

But that doesn't give me the right to monitor all stuff going in and out of my neighbours house to ensure none of it's mine.

It's called privacy.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 27 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Whenever I used McAfee it threw a hissy fit. But then again I use avast! and everytime I visit DIC I get a virus alert. I don't think they are virus laden at all.

But they are from canada...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

Yeah, McAfee is a bit crap. The only reason I have it is because my boss refuses to pay for something decent.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 27 February 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

Also most of my peer to peer activity isn't illegal, yet I've been flagged by "the industry" and contacted by my ISP for downloads that were far from illegal (I was torrent sharing ubuntu for too many days once, got flagged for that).

Absolutely same experience! Was Ubuntu 8.04, I think. I was schooled in Comcast throttling, how I got there, how I could avoid it, and why I'm assumed guilty. I'm afraid I've been a very bad torrent sharer ever since.

The problem isn't that they'll come and lock up modi ( sorry modi ), it's the false positives and faulty appeal systems. All you need to do is see well the DCMA is enforced by self appointed authorities to see where this is going.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 27 February 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

View Postno2pencil, on 27 February 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

It goes both ways.

Yeah and I don't want people stealing my stuff and then selling it out of their back door.

But that doesn't give me the right to monitor all stuff going in and out of my neighbours house to ensure none of it's mine.

It's called privacy.

& the amount of privacy that you pay for should (should) be provided to you in writing by your isp. If that changes, change isps. This is why I was against sopa. It removed the ability of isps to provide their own level of whatever. Should this level of monitoring change that, then I would be against it as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 27 February 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

The problem isn't that they'll come and lock up modi ( sorry modi ), it's the false positives and faulty appeal systems. All you need to do is see well the DCMA is enforced by self appointed authorities to see where this is going.

And all of this is why I've been thinking for a while that I want to start getting as paranoid as I can manage with all of my electronic communications. Hearing Doctorow speak last night didn't really make me want to ease back on that decision... :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »