• +

20 Replies - 2761 Views - Last Post: 23 August 2007 - 04:09 PM

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Irritations with Developing Software in a Team Environment

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:33 AM

A serious irritation I have is:

Where I work, a code review by one of your peers is required before your code can go to production (A damn fine idea if you ask me), what irritates me is when the person doing the code review attempts to use that as an opportunity to force you to program the way they do, by not approving your code review until you make changes to have things "the way they would do it"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:01 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 17 Aug, 2007 - 05:33 AM, said:

A serious irritation I have is:

Where I work, a code review by one of your peers is required before your code can go to production (A damn fine idea if you ask me), what irritates me is when the person doing the code review attempts to use that as an opportunity to force you to program the way they do, by not approving your code review until you make changes to have things "the way they would do it"

If someone else's way really was better (more efficient, conforms to team standards more, more reusable, etc), I'd gladly change my code. But before I did, I'd want more than just their word that it was better. I'd want to see written proof. That may mean a reference to team standards or an algorithmic proof or something like that. Without that, I would challenge their assertion and (respectfully) decline to change it until they proved it. No one should challenge the validity of your work without data to back up their claim.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:12 AM

alcdotcom I completely agree, and if it was more efficient I would gladly do it, and it wasn't withing our coding standards I would change it, but neither was the case. In fact, when it was all said and done I let another developer see my original code and he was like "Well whats wrong with this?".

The individual giving the problem is a young (2+ years experience) programmer who actually one day harassed me for using a Try...Catch block so I could catch any exceptions that happened, saying that it wasn't possible for an exception to occur there (assuming in software development <> good idea), so I had to take the time to show him that it could indeed hapen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:58 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 17 Aug, 2007 - 08:12 AM, said:

alcdotcom I completely agree, and if it was more efficient I would gladly do it, and it wasn't withing our coding standards I would change it, but neither was the case. In fact, when it was all said and done I let another developer see my original code and he was like "Well whats wrong with this?".

The individual giving the problem is a young (2+ years experience) programmer who actually one day harassed me for using a Try...Catch block so I could catch any exceptions that happened, saying that it wasn't possible for an exception to occur there (assuming in software development <> good idea), so I had to take the time to show him that it could indeed hapen.

So, did you change it or tell him to bugger off? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:28 AM

I didn't have a choice but to make some changes just to get it into production, I then took it up with him & the PM to get things straightened out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:09 PM

View Postalcdotcom, on 10 Aug, 2007 - 10:20 AM, said:

5. Not honoring your API!!!
OK, this is a big WTF. One of the teams in our dept is responsible for exposing SQL transactions as web services. They publish their API (the input XML and output XML) and we code to it. But the last two releases I have had to go back and change some element names because they did not honor their API. This pisses me off royally because it's a waste of my time. I complained to my manager last time, which obviously did no good, so this time I sent out an e-mail explaining the problem. The moral of the story is, if you publish an API, you need to honor it. If you decide to change it, change your docs and notify those using it, FFS.

Great. So, what happens when someone on your team keeps f**king with the API without notifying anyone? It breaks code. What happens if it's near a release time? It really f**ks things up. I swear - if these people were not two states away I would go to their cubicles when they were at lunch and plug all of their USB ports with quick drying epoxy a week before release time. :angry:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +