• (3 Pages)
  • +

37 Replies - 2687 Views - Last Post: 05 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

eSports

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

What are your guy's opinion on eSport? Do you watch any? Ever participate in any?

It's pretty interesting, that by computer gaming getting so large we're getting to the point where there are actual "sports" and sponsored tournaments for these games. I think with the rapid growth of tech and gaming we're only going to see these types of sports increase. Unfortunately I'm afraid this will also be a problem, because with the rapid growth of the gaming/computer industry, you're going to see rapid changes in eSports changing it from somewhat of a tradition into more of like... a dynamic, changing scene.

so, uh, yeah - thoughts on eSport?

here's a nice video on it:

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 02 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: eSports

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: eSports

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

just because it's competitive doesn't make it a sport. i played some competitive halo in mlg tournaments for a while. i was not playing a sport.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

Competing != sports. You can compete in all kinds of things but not all those things are sports. Ladies compete in beauty pageants. They're not sports. Barbecue competitions (while delicious) aren't sports. Picking a fantasy football team in a league is competing but it's not a sport.

When gaming requires physical effort to execute game moves, that nudges it closer to a sport...but it still won't be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

Though the contemporary definition of sport has gained the "athletic" addition to its definiton.

Etymologically speaking sport for the most of time didn't mean athletic in any way. And instead meant entertaining or amusing one self (hence why sport can be used as a synonym to 'jest'). It comes from the old French 'desport' meaning "pastime or recreation".

So I have no complaints with people removing the athletic part of the definition and returning to the more classic version of the word.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

When gaming requires physical effort to execute game moves, that nudges it closer to a sport...but it still won't be.

Yeah, because Wii Sports is a game title, not an accurate description of what you're doing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Most of the crap in the Olympics aren't what you might consider "sports" if you're adhering to the Monday Night Football definition. I don't really know what the fuck figure skating is...

The word "sport" is just as malleable as any other word. How much physicality do you need in your sports? Shooting sport. Sport fishing. People have been playing loose with the word for a long time.

Speed texting: the next big sport.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

They've been playing loose in that for most of time it didn't mean athletic at all. Because the word doesn't mean that.

Technically it's improper to restrict it to only mean 'athletic sports', as that's not what it meant for the first 500 years of its existence (the word came from old French in the 15th century).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

I rank that up there with the sport of left hand turns.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

I watch some Starcraft but I don't tune in specifically to watch it. Watched GSL on my lunch break today.

Playing competitively would be awesome, but I lack commitment to reach "pro" level... Although me and my friend are considering entering a Gears wingman tournament if we can find one when Judgement comes out, since we dominate that shit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 04 March 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Technically it's improper to restrict it to only mean 'athletic sports'

Technically, etymological usage is irreverent. Computer used to mean a person who was good with computations...

What it used to mean is interesting, but what is relevant is what it means right now. If you use any example more than a generation old, you're being historical, not topical.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

If the historical usage of the word is irrelevant, then that's just proving that the definition can be changed, and the contemporary meaning can become historical.

So I call bullshit. The historical meaning of the word is very important in telling what the word means and determining appropriate license in the being flexible with the word's usage.

If I wanted to use the word 'sport' to mean "the gunk between my toes", and others were like, "dafuq you say that for?" I'd have no logical reasoning for using it that way. Where as using it with a historically accurate definition I can logically state, "I'm using it the way people did only a couple decades ago, and did for centuries before that." Then my rationale for using it is sound, and I'm not improper in using it, especially if that usage is being popularized by not only me but an entire community (like e-sports fans). Especially when the contemporary definition of sport already has multiple non-athletic counterparts. Such as using sport as a synonym for 'jest' (as I previously pointed out).

The sentence you quote was also contextual. I meant it to mean: when the definition was altered to be exclusive to athletics it would have been technically improper... (using technically in the loose sense of course as I don't think it's actually improper to change definitions of words)

As for on topic. I can't get into e-sports. My friends watch LoL and Dota2 (as well as play it). Going over their houses is like going to a sunday football fan's house. Ugh.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 04 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

i think the bigger question is what makes them have this need to define it as a sport instead of just competitive gaming? why is competitive gaming not good enough?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

Give them an air of authenticity. Marketing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

.. because the pimplie faced youths (who were picked last for dodge ball games and forever banned from the cool jock kids table) now can claim a spot at that "sports" table thus filling in the pit of shame widened each day from a look of disappointment in their parent's eyes for not being a sports trophy winner.

Starting defense! Place at the table!

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 04 March 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

So I call bullshit. The historical meaning of the word is very important in telling what the word means

You're being a tad circular, here. Put another way. "the historical coloring of the duck is very important in telling what the duck's color is now." That is bullshit.

Apropos to the topic: the definition for "sport" you believe to be correct, in modern times or in some ren fair reality, is shifting. Video games will be sport and couch potatoes will be athletes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +