8 Replies - 2363 Views - Last Post: 14 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

New Developer Looking To Start Portfolio

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Hi everybody,
So I'm a junior in college going for Computer Science. I'm starting to think about building my portfolio, though I hate HTML. I was thinking of making it on Google Sites. I know my school will let me host a website from my home directory on the server too. I'm just now getting into version control, I've been using Dropbox's version tracking to get anything I need, I've been digging through Fossil for work and am really starting to like it. Git seems large and over complicated and I haven't looked to much into Subversion yet. What I was thinking of doing was looking for a project hosting site and building my portfolio on that with links to all my projects. Looking around there's clearly plenty of options for Subversion, Git and Mercurial that lots of people use. But I'm liking the way Fossil allows me to modify everything locally and I have complete control over absolutely everything. I did found out that SourceForge and Chisel provide hosting for Fossil projects. I've heard of SourceForge and clearly many people trust it. I've looked for reviews for Chisel but can't really find anything. I like the look of Chisel over SourceForge and it's seems simpler. So anybody got any information on these websites, or opinions? Also I'm poor so anything that doesn't cost money would be best. And any ideas on portfolios and hosting and space would be helpful. Was never one for pretty things but more for functionality so I know making a pretty site is going to be painful.

Thank you for the information.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New Developer Looking To Start Portfolio

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New Developer Looking To Start Portfolio

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

I'm currently putting my code on Github. I have full control over everything locally and I just push it to the repository whenever I'm ready. I believe the free account allows for unlimited public repositories and you have to pay for any private repositories. If you're a student then you can sign up to get a Micro account for free which allows for free public repositories and 5 private repositories for as long as you are a student. I've only been using it for a few months and simply started using it to collaborate on team projects for class, but so far I love it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

+1 for Git and GitHub. Git can get complicated when you need to use some of the advanced features, but for simple repositories and pushing up to GitHub it's a breeze to use and a very useful tool.

You may as well take the learning curve and get to grips with something that you will probably use again and again later on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

I knew this was going happen. Alright let's pretend for a moment that Git and GitHub does not exist. I'm more looking for information about chiselapp.com specifically. Just that it's a good site. It looks good but would like to make sure before I jump on it. So if anyone has any experience with it please let me know. Tools aren't really a problem, my main problem with Git and other large tools is the amount of time I spend learning a tool vs coding and being productive. My own belief is tools, even programming languages should be simpler to learn so that we can spend more time being productive to build better software. It should be the techniques and the theories I feel we should be spending more time on. My knowledge of languages and other development tools should be fairly transferable. I've never used version control which is why Git wasn't my first choice. Though I did read through all their documentation for more of the ideas on version control to better understand the whole idea. So if that makes any sense please respond. Any information would be appreciated thanks everybody.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 10 March 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I'm currently putting my code on Github. I have full control over everything locally and I just push it to the repository whenever I'm ready. I believe the free account allows for unlimited public repositories and you have to pay for any private repositories. If you're a student then you can sign up to get a Micro account for free which allows for free public repositories and 5 private repositories for as long as you are a student. I've only been using it for a few months and simply started using it to collaborate on team projects for class, but so far I love it.

Also note, if you're a student you can get a free micro account for a few years (allows up to 5 private repositories).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

View Postzedth2, on 02 March 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

I'm starting to think about building my portfolio, though I hate HTML. I was thinking of making it on Google Sites.

Stop complaining and just make your own website. Every programmer should be able to do something that simple.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Creating my own website really isn't to bad. But what do I do with all this code. It's got to go somewhere and just throwing it up on a site just seems pointless when I can kill multiple birds with one stone and use fossil.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

Well we've all gave you our opinions and you still seem to have your heart sent on fossil. So just go ahead and use it. I've never heard of it and I bet most people here haven't either so we won't be able to tell you that you're making the right choice. Personally I think you should invest some time in learning and using something more popular, but you don't, so start using fossil instead.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

View Postzedth2, on 13 March 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

Creating my own website really isn't to bad. But what do I do with all this code. It's got to go somewhere and just throwing it up on a site just seems pointless when I can kill multiple birds with one stone and use fossil.

Well I don't know how much code you have... but if you're a beginner and just want to show off some code, then building your website is best. That's what I do because I don't have any big projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1