2 Replies - 1709 Views - Last Post: 04 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Getting involved in opensource projects

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Once I have improved a bit more I'm really interested in getting involved with an opensource non-profit project in java or php. However how do I go about getting involved and what skill level would I need. I want to be stretched and love a challenge, so even if it is above my level I would be happy to do it.

Also where can I find opensource projects to join?

Thanks in advance.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting involved in opensource projects

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Getting involved in opensource projects

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Its worth noting that you can't just 'join' a project like that. You need to prove yourself by making actual real changes to the existing code that are worthwhile and don't suck.

First step is to identify the area you are interested in. Go to sites like GitHub, Sourceforge, codeplex etc just to name a few and have a surf around. Once you find a project that you like the look of don't just contact the owner and plead to them to join the project. Download the code and start making changes. Most projects have issue trackers - solve some bugs, add new features. Then when you have something to contribute you can contact the project telling them about your changes (there are various ways to do this depending on what site you go to). If they like your changes they will implement them. In a sense that kind of means you are already part of the project. If you mean you really want to manage the project, then you will have to repeat that process + more until you may get yourself into an admin position (or you may never get there - it happens).

Skill level wise you need to be good. Nobody is going to accept code from random newbies. You need to be good enough to understand and get to grips with a large code base and not be able to make changes to it.

So yeah. Go surf for some projects that you like the look of and start developing them.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Getting involved in opensource projects

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thanks I have a few ideas on what kind of project I want to join, so I'll browse around a bit. Honestly I still have a way to go, but there's no harm in looking. I enjoy learning from other peoples source code anyway, you will always learn something new.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1