7 Replies - 2144 Views - Last Post: 06 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New and looking for advice!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Hi there, my name is Jeremy and I'm new here. I'm also (somewhat) new to programming. I apologize if this next part does not fit in this section, I wasn't quite sure where to put it.

Let me give you a brief intro about me first, than I'll get into my advice seeking..

I'm 29 years old, married with 1 kid and 1 on the way. I have a bachelors degree in marketing (went to school originally for computer science, switched to computer information systems, and then switch to marketing...(NOT SURE WHY!!!!).

I took the first Java class, along with Visual basic and not only thoroughly enjoyed them, but Aced both of them as well. I know I want to get into software development, as I know I enjoy it and I'm pretty confident I'm in the group that is right for it (I have heard its not whether software development is right for you, but if you are right for it). As well, Math has always been my best subject.

Right now I have a few options that I've been weighing.

1) Go to the community college and get an associates degree in Computer science

2) Find an online college (NOT A FOR PROFIT LIKE UNIV OR PHOENIX) that offers a bachelors degree in computer science

3) Get my associates and then maybe try for a bachelors online (for example, I like FSU which has a good online computer science bachelors, but I dont' meet the prerequisites...but if I got my associates I probably would).

4) I MIGHT get into UGA's Master program in which I can do at night...the Masters is in internet technology, not computer science....but a big part of me thinks that if I'm going back to school and spending money, a masters looks better than an associates. But it's not necessarily software development, although I know that is a small part of the program.

I know I know that it depends on where I can get accepted etc etc. But I'm more or less asking what would be the best route? An associates/Maybe bachelors in Computer science, or a Masters of Internet Technology?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New and looking for advice!

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New and looking for advice!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

But I'm more or less asking what would be the best route?

What exactly do you want to do in one year, five, and ten? Are you looking to schlock code until your neck beard is lush and gray and you are counting down to retirement? Do you want to do management of IT folk? Maybe be a sys admin until you retire? What are the goals here?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 04 March 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

But I'm more or less asking what would be the best route?

What exactly do you want to do in one year, five, and ten? Are you looking to schlock code until your neck beard is lush and gray and you are counting down to retirement? Do you want to do management of IT folk? Maybe be a sys admin until you retire? What are the goals here?

Off the top of my head I just know I want to get into software development..maybe something like this, although I dont know how long it takes to become, say a senior software engineer..

1 year - still taking class
5 year - hopefully have an entry level or 2nd step software development/computer programming job
10 years -
20 years - senior software engineer/sys admin

Also, on another note...would it look odd to have a bachelors in marketing and masters in internet tech? just seems like an odd combo that a lot of employers may just laugh at my masters.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

... and you haven't touched a lick of code since that one java class back in college?

Look.. I don't know if you are using your marketing degree now, or what you are making, but I would seriously take a gander at your local job boards to see what an 'entry' level person makes. I mean, brah, you have a family to take care of. Are you all cool with dropping pay to reboot?

As for if it would look weird to have a 'internet technology' masters, I don't know. I don't know what that entails and how much of the comp sci is baked in.

This isn't an 'introduce yourself' post.. so moving to cubicle corner.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

I wouldn't be dropping pay to reboot. I would be taking these classes at night while I work my day time job. And I have looked at the boards and yes an entry level Computer anything would most likely be a pay increase.

No I'm not using my marketing degree anymore. I was but my job turned into a full time traveling gig (gone 3 weeks/month), the company didn't give raises and it was a dead end. I left after 4 years of that and right now I'm a pest control technician because it kept me home every night.

Thanks for moving it to the correct spot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Sure.. then go get that associates.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

The thing to remember is that quite frankly most CS people don't have a bit of business sense. What that does is open quite a few more options for you. I have a minor in Business, and that's how I tend to sell massive purchases or overhauls. Quite honestly in this area saying it's faster and more efficient doesn't do a thing, but proving that the mean time between failure of old equipment with maintenance costs is greater than the cost of new equipment's return on investment over a 3-4 year timeframe? That gets some eyebrows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

You're focused on getting a degree. This is bad. You already have a useful degree. The one you have in marketing. You don't prove your value as a programmer with a degree. You prove it with your list of projects you shipped.

What you instead should do is learn to program on your own, and start developing a portfolio once you can work on projects that are meaningful to demo.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1