10 Replies - 1508 Views - Last Post: 07 March 2013 - 06:53 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where can i find tutorial or information to dev a game like this?

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Hey guys, i'm new in Java Gamming Development and i wanna know if any of you guys know a tutorial or any information that can help to program in the best way, something like this:

http://codelinkv2.com/web/

A think this can be considered as a strategy game, is there a more specific name for games like this? So i can search tutorials by myself?

Well, thank you guys in advanced.
(Just for consideration, i'm brazillian, english isn't my native language :P/> )

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where can i find tutorial or information to dev a game like this?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where can i find tutorial or information to dev a game like this?

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

The type of game is 'simulator' .. and in this case a 'hacking simulator'. As for tutorials I am not sure if there is anything specific in there... you may just want to really work on polishing a UI and your UI knowledge and getting that geared up..

Plus it's an MMO.. if you are new to games then this may be a while off before you can take it in stride.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

You want a tutorial to teach you how to build that exact game?
Not going to happen. Might as well just ask for someone to give you the source code so all you have to do is type it in.
Would someone show me how to build my program? - Read this article

Learn the language.
Learn the concepts of Object Oriented Programming.
Build up your skills: Learn to crawl, then walk, then run.

Then you won't need a tutorial, you can architect your own program from scratch.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 05 March 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

You want a tutorial to teach you how to build that exact game?

I wanted some tips or concepts behind the creation of a game of this genre, even studying and understanding a bit of programming, it is always difficult to program something you did not know, or do not understand the concepts behind the creation of a game as this. In case, a simulation game, different games have different concepts of creation. So I was wondering if you knew of any tutorial explaining the concepts and examples of different types of games in this genre (Simulation) XD
I used this game as an example only because I could not define a style for him, as if you told me, is a simulation game, knowing this, it becomes easier to go after concepts and examples on this type of game.
XD
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

In short - no, there are no hand holding tutorials for a hacking sim. You play the game, right? There is your direct, hands on, experience! See the moving parts, make some assertions on what is going on in the background, etc. Break the problem down into reasonable bits and chunks and build from there.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

Let me rephrase.

Don't worry about games right now. Games are amongst some of the toughest things to make. They are the most complex of projects you could create.

If you aren't already well versed with higher order concepts and programming patterns there isn't much point in aiming at games - yet. If you've never built a dog house, there is no point looking for tutorials on the advanced topics of material stress load for a 40 story building because you simply don't have any experience or understanding.

The 'tutorials' you want simply don't fit in a simple on-line tutorial. You're looking for a book in the 500+ page range. Frankly, most game makers don't go spilling their guts on how to make games so you can compete with them. They have spent thousands (hundreds of thousands) of dollars to develop their products and train their staffs. They don't really want you reading a $59.99 book and building a competing product.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Thank you guys! I will devote myself to study more and more, I always programmed in procedural languages​​, started studying Java "alone", I'm reading a great book, for starters at least, "Head First: Java", they have a very interesting way of teaching, I'm learning a lot, even have some examples of simple games, like Battleship and so on. And even these are already immensely complex.
I understood what you meant, is really something quite beyond my abilities today, thank you for your patience in answering my questions XD
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 06 March 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

In short - no, there are no hand holding tutorials for a hacking sim. You play the game, right? There is your direct, hands on, experience! See the moving parts, make some assertions on what is going on in the background, etc. Break the problem down into reasonable bits and chunks and build from there.

You're right, even beyond being of my current programming skills, it is always fun to use this approach, deconstructing something just based on observation and rebuild, and this is the foundation of programming in my vision. Thank you for your patience in responding to my questions, they were a little silly, I admit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

Certainly.. but you need to get over the fear/hump of the 'unknown'. The majority of my 'new work', at my job, all start out as unknown and uncharted territory. I love doing that more so than retreading over the same maintenance filled ground.

I wanted some tips or concepts behind the creation of a game of this genre, even studying and understanding a bit of programming, it is always difficult to program something you did not know, or do not understand the concepts behind the creation of a game as this

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 06 March 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

Certainly.. but you need to get over the fear/hump of the 'unknown'. The majority of my 'new work', at my job, all start out as unknown and uncharted territory. I love doing that more so than retreading over the same maintenance filled ground.

Yeah, I need to lose the fear of the "unknown" and chasing my own knowledge, unravel the mysteries of programming, breaking my head to find solutions to every new problem that I encounter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

That game loads like a cool simulator and I am sure you would like to make your own version of it, but you wont find a tutorial explaining/walking your through all of it.

What you need to do if you really want to dive into making a game is create a concept and break it down into very small goals.

Lets say your goal is to create a single player hacking simulator:

Before you even look at the code you need to come up with a simple design for your game, describe what makes up the game.

There is a hacker (The Player)
A hacker has a Laptop
There are many servers
A Hacker can connect to a server using his laptop
A Hacker can browse and download images from a server when he is connected to it

Already you have quite a lot of work to do to code this story

You will need a few classes
Hacker
Laptop
Server
Connection
Files
Image (type of File)

When the game loads it would create a new instance of a Hacker
Hacker.laptop is a new laptop

The Laptop might have vaiables like:
internet_connected: true/false
image_capacity: Number of images allows

Server could have
IsUp: is server on
Connected_www : is server connected to the WWW

Connection
Just say this contains the details of the connection between your laptop and a server
Could have Values like speed, secure, port

Filesize
encrypted
image: link to a png or jpg so you can show it on screen

Anyways, this is the sort of information I think you might need to write down, you need to know what your entities are and the relationship between them, only then can you ask people questions they can help you with.

Think of your design, follow tutorials on how to make simple games then come back to this when you have better understanding of game design.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1