3 Replies - 1694 Views - Last Post: 09 August 2007 - 08:39 AM

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

10 Things You Should Know About Microsoft's Silverlight

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:10 AM

10 Things You Should Know About Microsoft's Silverlight

ComputerWorld.Com lists 10 things you should know about Microsoft's Silverlight, a cross-browser, cross-platform plug-in that works in IE & Firefox on Windows, and Safari & Firefox on Mac OS X.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 10 Things You Should Know About Microsoft's Silverlight

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 10 Things You Should Know About Microsoft's Silverlight

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:34 AM

Now this is a bit lol. A cross-platform thing, that doesn't support Linux, Soalris, etc. (but let the Mono project do it). It will support .NET components, but how many platforms have up to date, MS supported 100% compatible .NET run times (I think all of their names start with Windows)?
And they throw in AJAX, RUBY, Python buzzwords and go on bashing Flash a bit (what I personally don't like that much, but it's more Platform independent imho, but I actually can get myself to touch it through OpenLaszlo).
Anyway, I'm not sure, what this thing is exactly aimed at. It is a nice effort, that they support FF, kudos for that. They make the market for Flash a bit more competitive, another good point. But hell, if we talk about cross platform, then do it like that, and do it at least as effectively and even handedly as solutions already on the market, or just skip it in the marketing fanfare.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:28 AM

Ive been playing around with it for a couple months and its cool, someday Ill write a tutorial on the basics of using it. Its actually pretty amazing the things you can do with it. I despise Flash, and was very pleased when they introduced Silverlight
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:39 AM

Could you say some words about the workflow required to create an application?
I am interested in what tools do you need, and what steps are required to create an application?
I've seen some info in the article, but it just wasn't specific enough, and even it's homepage was a bit vague on details for the first sight. I know I could google it up, but some first hand information might be more useful :)

Also, I recommend you the OpenLaszlo thing, it might be something similar probably with much less functionality, but more platform independece. It is easy to learn, and it is programmed with xml and javascript (it can produce swf, and I think dhtml output is in the beta).

I hated flash before I saw this thing, but since then I can get along with it in some places.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1