Guy with great ideas need hungry programmers!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 2434 Views - Last Post: 08 March 2013 - 03:56 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Guy with great ideas need hungry programmers!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hey DreamInCode! This is my first post, so bear with me. (If im posting this in the wrong section, please move it mods)

I am a dude who very easily and frequently get a lot of good ideas for programs/apps/games, but I have no way of actually creating them, simply, because I do not know how to code advanced things at all. I have basic knowledge of most languages, and it is not hard for me to understand actual code. I am just having a hard time learning how to make my own stuff.

So here's the deal: I want to have contact with a couple of hungry, knowledgeable programmers without any ideas of their own, so we could work as a pair/triforce, (and yes pun intended).

Right now, my head is just exploding with great ideas, mainly for (android-)apps and (general-)games. I actually have trouble processing them all.

TL;DR
Right now, I have so many ideas in my head, I don't know how to process them all. I want to be in contact with programmers without ideas of their own, and hopefully form a great working model with this workflow:
I get idea --> rough draft --> team spawning --> coders code Alpha --> I give feedback --> coders code beta --> feedback and so on until finished product.

If you are a person with experience in android or just general games programming, and feel out of ideas, please do not hesitate to PM me. Sadly, I have no resume or website yet.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Guy with great ideas need hungry programmers!

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Guy with great ideas need hungry programmers!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Moving to 'post a job'.

Care to elaborate on the nature of the work, pay, duration, time commitment, etc?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

(I do not quiet grasp how to edit my post)

Essentially, I am just looking for people willing to work in pair/group with me and help me realizing my ideas.
I have no specially defined rules for this "job". Just general stuff like theese:

1. Willing to work for free at first.
2. Willing to allocate some serious time into this.
3. Being roughly in the same time-zone, I am GMT+1.
4. Speaks English fluently.
5. Having quite some experience in (Android-) development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

(I do not quiet grasp how to edit my post)

You can't yet. You don't have enough posts.

Essentially, I am just looking for people willing to work in pair/group with me and help me realizing my ideas.

It sounds like you're looking for volunteer employees. Programming is hard. Apps make money. Why should I or anyone else develop your app if we don't get paid, when we can develop apps ourselves or go work for a paying company?

I don't mean to be rude, but you need to realize that we get tons of requests from people like yourself with no technical experience with no intentions of paying us that want us to do substantial amounts of work for them. It's frankly insulting to developers to have their skillsets devalued, and nobody worth their salt is really going to do this when they can be making money elsewhere. If you're serious about starting a business, then you should get serious and pay fairly for what a developer's time is worth.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Why should I or anyone else develop your app if we don't get paid, when we can develop apps ourselves or go work for a paying company?

Well:
1. I stated I searched for developers without ideas. So we could work in symbiosis.
2. I supply what I think are excellent ideas.
3. The developed products would be earning money (either sold or through ads)
4. I also stated that I was looking for people willing to spawn ideas.
5. If you aren't interested, don't reply?

I don't mean to be rude, but you need to realize that we get tons of requests from people like yourself with no technical experience with no intentions of paying us that want us to do substantial amounts of work for them. It's frankly insulting to developers to have their skillsets devalued, and nobody worth their salt is really going to do this when they can be making money elsewhere. If you're serious about starting a business, then you should get serious and pay fairly for what a developer's time is worth.

Well now we talking! Please explain how this would de-grace any programmers at all? If I did just that, it was by no means intended!
If I was looking to only get my apps developed, and nothing more, I would of course be paying for it. But I am looking for something else.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Well:
1. I stated I searched for developers without ideas. So we could work in symbiosis.
2. I supply what I think are excellent ideas.
3. The developed products would be earning money (either sold or through ads)
4. I also stated that I was looking for people willing to spawn ideas.

I think you're missing the economics of this. It's very much a supply and demand thing. Big companies and small companies are willing to pay a lot of money for freelance work and/or employment. If a developer chooses to pursue an avenue, those are the paying avenues. You have an idea- how do I know it's worth it to focus my (substantial) efforts on your ideas? Why is it economically advantageous to work for you? Some apps do sell well, but there are many that only generate $20 in revenues. I've seen both. It's a big risk, when I could go for the route that's going to guarantee me a few thousand dollars for the equivalent amount of time I expend on the other project.

I would of course be paying for it.

1. Willing to work for free at first.
2. Willing to allocate some serious time into this.

This seems contradictory. If you're willing to pay- what are the terms?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

View Postlink4u_94, on 07 March 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

Well:

No one learns to code & then sits waiting for someone to come ask them to code (for free). The difference between someone that wants to learn to code, & someone that actually learns & codes is simply a level of initiative & desire.

What you will find are 'hopefuls'. They know a little, but are willing to learn from others. So you have all of these hopefuls, not knowing where to start, you have a project but are unable to lead them as you don't understand how to lead people doing something that you don't know how to do, & everyone just talks about how great it will be once it's completed.

A process that someone described once as "None of us know how to swim, but if we all jump in the water together, we can learn as we go".

Another thing to keep in mind is that it takes years to truly become proficient in a coding language. Most people that invest that kind of time & are willing to work on others projects will want to be well compensated for not just their time spent on the project, but their unique ability to use their trained craft & talents.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

The other thing to keep in mind is that ideas are a dime a dozen. Anyone who starts a business knows this. Lots of people talk about having "the next great idea," but running a successful business is so much more about the implementation of the product and competency of the team than just "the idea." If the person initiating the project doesn't bring anything to the table beyond the idea, they're not worth much, as it's very easy to find another person with another "great idea." Again- supply and demand.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Clearly, this does not seem to be the right media for me to do what I am trying to do.

I think you're missing the economics of this.

As stated in the first post, I am not even trying to make money.

You have an idea- how do I know it's worth it to focus my (substantial) efforts on your ideas?

Well, It's your free choice. But that could only be decided after I share some of the ideas? (Am I not correct?)

Why is it economically advantageous to work for you?

It issn't. Not every programmer are trying to earn money.

Some apps do sell well, but there are many that only generate $20 in revenues. I've seen both. It's a big risk ..

Indeed. I should have stated I was looking for hobby programmers.

This seems contradictory. If you're willing to pay- what are the terms?

What? If any of the project generate money, we will split it somehow I guess? Again, not every programmer are interested of earning cash for the projects.. (ever heard of Crowdsourcing or GitHub? Or even Wikipedia..? Im sure you have...)

You have greatly diminished my will to continue with anything in life,I hope you are happy. I respect your views and I am happy for the quick response. You are not the only one who are angry now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

A lot of those people are generally working on their own projects and interests. As for Wikipedia, it pays their developers.

But that could only be decided after I share some of the ideas? (Am I not correct?)

Not really. It's more than ideas. It's a plan of how to succeed. Business model, documentation, specifics on the project, etc. More importantly, it's the composure and competency of the team.

Per my last post:

The other thing to keep in mind is that ideas are a dime a dozen. Anyone who starts a business knows this. Lots of people talk about having "the next great idea," but running a successful business is so much more about the implementation of the product and competency of the team than just "the idea." If the person initiating the project doesn't bring anything to the table beyond the idea, they're not worth much, as it's very easy to find another person with another "great idea." Again- supply and demand.

You have greatly diminished my will to continue with anything in life

Melodrama, much?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

No one learns to code & then sits waiting for someone to come ask them to code (for free).

Well, obviously.

The difference between someone that wants to learn to code, & someone that actually learns & codes is simply a level of initiative & desire.

YES I KNOW. I have grave memory problems, SO IT IS VERY HARD FOR ME. (Ever even thought of that possibility..?)

What you will find are 'hopefuls'. They know a little, but are willing to learn from others. So you have all of these hopefuls, not knowing where to start, you have a project but are unable to lead them as you don't understand how to lead people doing something that you don't know how to do, & everyone just talks about how great it will be once it's completed.

You are a very, very negative person. I have succeeded with such projects/workflows like this in the past.

A process that someone described once as "None of us know how to swim, but if we all jump in the water together, we can learn as we go".

Maybe this is what I want. I said several times I do not really want any money. Say what you want about unfinished projects, but for me it is about the journey, whether positive nor negative.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it takes years to truly become proficient in a coding language. Most people that invest that kind of time & are willing to work on others projects will want to be well compensated for not just their time spent on the project, but their unique ability to use their trained craft & talents.

I KNOW. I have been learning code for over 15 years now, but my biggest obstacle is my memory problems..

I know this, thanks for the reminder.

Melodrama, much?

I have a bipolar disorder, so yes..

I was coming here hoping to get some positive replies. Why are you all so negative? Because you get 1000 posts like this a day? Explain please :(

Instead of just killing my good spirit, could you maybe point me in the right direction or help me in some other way maybe..?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

I don't call this negativity. It's a healthy dose of realism. Not to be pedantic, but I don't understand what you gain out of the metaphorical journey here. You have an idea, but other people act on it until it fits your whim. What exactly is it that you contribute or gain from the enaction of your idea?

Instead of just killing my good spirit, could you maybe point me in the right direction or help me in some other way maybe..?

We have tons of resources to help people learn how to write code. Those seem like a great place to start, and it sounds like you already have some ideas you are passionate about. Time to get cranking, it sounds like!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

You have an idea, but other people act on it until it fits your whim.

OUR whim, as a team.

What exactly is it that you contribute or gain from the enaction of your idea?

You missed the part of working as a team maybe?

Your realism is far less positive than mine, that's for sure ;)

We have tons of resources to help people learn how to write code. Those seem like a great place to start, and it sounds like you already have some ideas you are passionate about. Time to get cranking, it sounds like!

I will, this forum seems awesome for learning how to code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

So besides the idea, if someone wants to work with you, what exactly are you bringing to the table? Each member of the team should be contributing for the product to succeed. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 07 March 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

what exactly are you bringing to the table?

optimism
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +